Has anybody ever had the pleasure of playing orange county drums??

Yes, one of my friends owns one and I used to own a 20 ply snare. IMO their sets are nothing special at all. They're nothing that you or I could build ourselves (if you're handy that is). DW is much better quality. the only good think about OCDP is that you can get whatever the hell color and config you want.

Yeah, I played one in SamAsh.
Nice maple drums, as fenix stated, nothing too special you can't do yourself.

They just looked really cool, it had a flame finish or something -- that was probably the best part! :p

ignorant drummers who think OCDP is special. This irks me. Heres why

They sell vented, kellar snares for upwards of 1000 dollars. I got a custom, vented, kellar snare from Dave Conaway Drums for less than 200 with a custom finish and brass hardware.

They pay their endorsers to play their kits

They make their drums out of the same material that you can get at PrecisionDrum.com. If you want to pay over twice the price of the kit for a finish, then go here: Ocdrum.com

DW makes their own shells, in their own workshops and timbre matches them so they all sound perfect with each other. They can make birch drums as well, and cost about the same as OCDP.

Sorry, I just think that ornage county drums are overpriced, overhyped and overrated.

i have a DW set and I can't complain. It's almost hard to beat the true sound of a DW with the proper tuning, heads, etc... Although an orange county set would be fun if i had about 5 grand to waste. I played on a vented snare last night, and he told me it costed $850. Now that's where I draw the line.

Is this place going to turn into the Pearl Drummers forum where everyone goes gaga over OCDP and that guy from Slipknot?

Jeez, I hope not.

MadMinute said:
Is this place going to turn into the Pearl Drummers forum where everyone goes gaga over OCDP and that guy from Slipknot?

Jeez, I hope not.

The other members aren't going gaga over OCDP. Most of them have said that OCDP drums aren't even all that special.

branded said:
If so, what were they like? These seem to be better than DW''s
I wish I could afford a set haha!

The OCP's look really great and all but I think DW's sound much better...

Last edited:
branded said:
If so, what were they like? These seem to be better than DW''s
I wish I could afford a set haha!

You're just buying into the Punk Rock image.

I have a friend who has a 4-piece OC drumkit, with an extra snare.

I borrwed his vented snare, not to play, but because I wanted to see how well it was constructed. It wasn't. As someone who has done drumtech and repair work over the last 20 years, I was horrified to see what they are getting away with!

They had made a drim for my friend that was at least 20 plies (I'm thinking 40, because the snare was about an inch thick) and there were gaps that were at least 1/8" where the shells did not meet inside the drum - they didn't even attempt to try to fill it, either.

The drum sounded "thick" because of the density of the shell, and the width of the bearing edges, but it was kind of "dull" sounding, with a lot of midrange, but not too much snap to it.

I didn't care for the vent either, live it might be good in an unmic'ed situation for extra midrange volume from the snare, but I just wasn't impressed with the snare or the kit.

This guy only plays a 4-piece in the following configuration, so he saved enough money to buy a very large kit, and instead bought four 4-piece kits from different manufacturers:

1 10"x12"
1 14"x16"
1 18"x22"

He has about 20 snares (he bought 2 snares from each manufacturer and every one was a different size or configuration so that he could have an "arsenal" of snares to choose from.)

He plays out 6 nights a week, and he does studio work throught the state of Florida.
So, which of his kits gets the most requests?

A Porkpie. 8 ply toms, and a 10 ply kick, and he uses either a 5"x14" Porkpie
snare or an old Rogers Dynasonic from the 1960's.

The Orange County kit looked good, but he sold it because he said it wasn't as good as the porkpie kit.

Tim

Never played them, but the general consensus (as is obvious here as well as many other forums) is that they are nice drums, but grossly overrated.

They pay their endorsers to play their kits
Wrong. Chad Sexton and Adrian Young get free kits, because they're part owners of the company. All other endorsers pay cost for their drums.

Back