Harttman Neuron

I don't think they are officially shipping yet. I haven't heard them annouce that they are shipping anyway. Their website http://www.hartmann-music.com/home/us/news/ says it will ship in december but here it is middle of december and no sign yet.

That said, when it does ship
I want one too...who wants to give me $5k so I can get one.

The new moog had alot of hype and the price reflects the demand, and I can imagine that they will sell well for the ethusiasts who absolutely must have the minimoog sound, but I am not sure the hartmann will live up to the hype enough to justify the price. Or maybe I am just jealous because I will never be able to afford one.

Sweetwater is selling them in their new catalog, but that doesn't mean they're in stock.
The price will come down. Look at kurzweil's, they're even more expensive than the neuron, but within a year or two you can pick them up for 1/2 of what they came out at.
I just want to play with all those little joysticks! Bad! Especially hooked up in 5.1!

I think the deal with the Harman was something called Granular Synthesis, something new. First there was subtractive, then additive and sampling and now...ta ta ta dummmmmm...Granular!!!!

In the meanwhile, however, Native Instruments have something like granular synthesis in thier latest offering such as Kontact and I believe Kantos but I am not certain how they compare to the Hartman if at all.'

I do know this, the Kontact program is alleged to be simple to operate. Ease of use is its calling card. Intuitive say the advertisements. So, I ponied up and purchased it. I have had it for two days and so far, granular shmanular, it is not that intuitive and the manual kind of sucks so, I still don't know hat this granular stuff is all about or if there is anything out that deos iit or someint like it.

I may be wrong, but the only synth that I'm aware of that is a "granular" synth is the Maelstrom in reason2. I'm not sure what the exact catch phrase for the neuron is but they call it "Multi-Component Particle Transform Synthesis" on the sight.

... no it's not granular.. granular synthesis takes tiny "events" of a sample and displace them into a sequence... a grain is a little particle of an entire sample, and certain algoriths sequence them over time.. as sub said, the neuron is a multi component particle synthesizer. This means that it tries to recognize and recreate certain characteristics of the sample, and lets you alter some of those charactaristics...

That is pretty interesting though I recall an article about the Hartman that called it granular. Quite possibly I am mistaken but maybe not. That does not mean the article was correct but it does raise a question of whether or not the synth has such a capability whatever else it may do or be.

Back