Harpy B Cymbals?

herostyle

Have any of you guys ever played on Harpy B Series cymbals. Theeres one for a reasonable price online and I was wondering if there nice.

herostyle said:
Have any of you guys ever played on Harpy B Series cymbals. Theeres one for a reasonable price online and I was wondering if there nice.

Forget "reasonable price". Save your money and buy a Paiste (Alpha's and above), Zildjian (only A's or above), or Sabian (b8Pro's and above.)

What I mean by "Alpha's and above", etc. - is that all of these companies make what they call "student models", which means they are a crappy sounding, hunk of junk for a kid to play on. The models listed are the cheapest cymbal lines that I have listened to that actually yield a tolerable, musical sound.

Tim

Last edited:
Tim Brown said:
Forget "reasonable price". Save your money and buy a Paiste (Alpha's and above), Zildjian (only A's or above), or Sabian (b8Pro's and above.)

Tim

I agree with the Paiste's and the Zildjian's, but the Sabain B8Pros!? Maybe the Sabian AA's! Wowy! :confused:

jaykeMURD said:
I agree with the Paiste's and the Zildjian's, but the Sabain B8Pros!? Maybe the Sabian AA's! Wowy! :confused:

From the audience - the b8Pro's don't sound too bad. Up close, not the best in the world - but from out in the audience, they still resemble the soundof a cymbal - unlike the econo zildjian lines.

Zildjian really screwed the pooch. They had a line in the early 80's called the "Amir" that sold for about 50% of what the Zildjian line was priced at - and they sounded essentially just like a Zildjian A.

It was a great sounding cymbal, and they quit making them - we always figured that they must have been selling too many of them.

My simple rule of thumb is: cheap cymbals sound bad, unless you get quality cymbals used for a cheap price. In the later case, you usually get to hear them first.

I only ever buy cymbals after hearing them, no matter the price.

yeah i have b8 pros... i was expecting they would be temporary because they were so cheap, but the sound is great

i never heard or played a harpy b cymbal, but i would just have to recommend sabian aa

enjoy whatever you get
the new issue of modern drummer is pretty good

tbone36109 said:
im sure if you could get a good sound out of b8 pros(which is possible) you could do the same for zxts

The zxt's have a kind of.....they have this "edge" to them that I didn't like immediately. A friend bought a set of them after I warned him to go listen to them first (he didn't) and he called me griping about them.
So I went to his bandroom and listened to them, and had to bite my tongue to keep from saying "I told you so", even though I had. The best of the modern economy cymbals that I have heard have been the Paiste Alpha series, and I'm sure there are some in that line that I probably wouldn't like.

It's not that they are "bad" cymbals, but they just seemed to sound "extra brittle" to me. I like cymbals that are thin and/or dark, they "explode" and then get out of the way. The Zildjians almost had gong like quality to them, in the sense that they seemed to have a brittle crash sound, with a long sustain that I just didn't find pleasing - but keep in mind that I don't like "Rock" or "Power" crashes....they have a midrange-heavy sound that I just don't really like. Sure, they'll cut through the mix - but so will a school bell, and I sure wouldn't want a bunch of cymbals sounding like those.

The Wuhan S series (western style) cymbals aren't bad - actually I heard some of them that I really liked, especially a couple of the splashes and an 18" crash at a local store - but you would have to try them in person and pick out one you liked and buy it then and there. I wouldn't generally promote them for a student because they are so thin. Most young (read as inexperienced) drummers don't know how to hit the cymbals, and with such a thin cymbal they would be breaking the Wuhans left and right.

Tim

just saying b8 pros arent neccessary that impressive either, i wouldnt say they are awful but i think zxt are probably as nice. especially since the xs arent that much more but IMO are alot better than the b8s

and yeah the wuhans arent bad for the price, their chinas are actually great(but then again a china is suposed to sound like a cheap crappy cymbal :D )

lol yeah, u can get a china and splash pack for the price of a lollipop.
ok thats a lie, but wuhans are cheap.
btw my friend got zxt titanium pros or studios or something, and he absolutely hated them. they do have a brittle sharp , stinging sound, but in a bad way

Back