Hardware needed for 78rpm recording

Havoc

So, I have found a pile of 78rpm disks, looked around and found a player being able to play the things and read a bit around on the net. Next step is to get these in the PC. Now I have done this already with 33rpm's so the setup is ready but for one thing:

I know I need a special needle to play those disks, but here it stops. I don't have one and do not have an idea where to find one. If someone could give me a model number, brand, type, cartridge whatever, or even a dealer of those somewere in europe......

Thanks.

For the moderator: if there is a forum better suited for this, feel free to move the thread.

Havoc said:
found a player being able to play the things

I know I need a special needle to play those disks, but here it stops. I don't have one

Am I missing something here? Sorry, I just woke up. :cool:

Modern stereo styli are smaller than those used to play 78s. Though you can use a modern one, its best to use a stylus that fits, or rides above or below the groove depending on the amount of surface noise. And you should never use a standard stylus on an Edison Diamond Disc.

Thanks Angie, will look at them.

To giaschel: not only the needle is different, but if you are very picky about it 78rpm is not always 78rpm, it can be from about 76 up to 80 depending on the record company and time of issue. Also the RIAA curve was not yet there so different EQ as well.

But I'm not THAT picky... A larger needle can make a difference as Angie pointed out in getting less surface noise in, and that is a large difference.

Back