Hardware for Sonar

RonL

I intend to get Sonar soon and will build a system for it. I will be having Windows XP as the OS.

Question 1. Would I get better performance if I use a P4 processor instead of a Celeron if both are running at 1.7MHz. I intend to upgrade to a P4 of 3+GHz later on whennthe price comes down.

Question 2. I will be having 2 physical hard disk. A 4GHz with the OS and a 8 or 12 GHz secondary. On which hard disk should I install Sonar?

Thanks in advance.

RonL,
A Celeron is always a "value version" of Intel's latest offering. So, yes, theoretically, you would have a faster pc by going with a P4. But there's a break even point if you're like the rest of the world and not loaded with cash. :)
As for your HDD, I would install the Sonar program itself on the same drive (C:) as your Windows XP, along with all your other programs. Then, leave (D:) free for recording the audio files.

Jed

#1. I would go with the P4 instead of the celeron. I believe both will probably do fine, but the P4 will probably out perform. Plus, if you are going to upgrade the motherboard you choose with your P4 might make that a little easier. Make sure you get plenty of RAM...

#2. I would suggest to put Sonar on your drive with XP. Then have your audio files on the second drive. You might also want to consider getting a bigger drive for your audio. 12gigs can disappear rather quickly. You might want to use your 8gb or 12gb drive for your OS and apps and get maybe a 40gb drive for your audio.

Good Luck!

Vice

Jedman, you must of posted while I was slowly hunting and pecking my reply... I agree with you wholeheartedly...

Vice

Wow! That was quick. Thanks guys.

Sorry I meant I was going to get a 40GB and a 120GB hard disk :)

Now how could I install Sonar on drive C so that roecrding will take place on drive D?

Thanks again.

I would like to share these with all good guys.

Cakewalk wrote me a note saying that P4 will work better because there is specific code for it in SONAR.

So I am off to get my new P4 system :)

RonL said:
Now how could I install Sonar on drive C so that roecrding will take place on drive D?
You set this up in the program. Options -> Global -> Audiodata. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, however Celeron's use a shorter floating point calculation, hence the improvement in speed.. That would be why Sonar would work better on a straight P4. For general use of PC's a Celeron would be fine, but for 'hi-end' work.. and I class audio as high end you will get slightly better performance out of a straight P4... it may be ther difference between that one last effect ;-)

Porter

Disclaimer - I'm a P4 advocate, and would probably pay the extra money every time for the Intel solution with an Intel chipset.

On www.cakewalknet.com there are some fascinating results of tests between the Intel and AMD processors. The tests seem to indicate that the AMD provides more cost benefit than the Intel processor.

That being said, for robustness and compatibility, I built my own system with a P4 and an Asus motherboard.

-lee-

Back