hardisk capacity maxed out, S3

guhlenn

Oh REALLY????
Now I figured i could bounce groups of instruments (drums, guitars) to stereo tracks and archive the original tracks. haven;t tried it yet. got scared (literally , sonar was acting a little ehm, strange)

it;s a 2x 7200 rpm hardisk and athlon something machine. 32 tracks, about 24 effects running. yep, i kinda over-did it ;)

would that be suifficient or is there a better/easier way?

guhlenn said:
Now I figured i could bounce groups of instruments (drums, guitars) to stereo tracks and archive the original tracks. haven;t tried it yet. got scared (literally , sonar was acting a little ehm, strange)

it;s a 2x 7200 rpm hardisk and athlon something machine. 32 tracks, about 24 effects running. yep, i kinda over-did it ;)

would that be suifficient or is there a better/easier way?
A better, easier way to do what?? :confused:

Later versions of Sonar have a freeze function, which essentially does the same thing in a single step, but if you need to free up resources, bouncing and archiving will help. As you noted, this will take up more hard disc space, but for most people this is usually less of a problem than CPU/memory resources required for lots of tracks and effects.

Another way to free up resources, if you're not already doing it, is to put your effects on a bus. In fact, for certain effects, such as reverb, this is actually the preferred method.

well, actually i heard of the 'freeze' function, but couldn't find it heh. although the CPU load is not small, it is the hardidsk that is maxed out (the indicator flashes and the screen freezes, at that point my harddisk is at 93% or more.

Just wanted to know if I would be stupid using that method. :o

Thank you though.

regards

Bouncing and archiving tracks will actually use more hard disk capacity. When you archive tracks they are not removed from the hard drive, only from the playback. So it will help CPU load, but will actually increase the amount of files stored on your hard drive.

If you want to increase your hard drive space, make a backup copy of the project onto CD or DVD, then bounce the tracks, and DELETE the original tracks. (You probably need to run the Clean Disk tool after doing this.) You will need to bounce more than two tracks for each bounce for this to have any effect - since bouncing to a stereo track will take twice the hard disk space per track of a mono track.

Better bet, IMHO, is to buy another hard drive, although you indicated you already have two hard drives. What capacity are they? You might be better served to backup the projects you are not presently working on to a CDR, and then remove the backed up projects entirely.

Also, if you have done a lot of slip editing to the project, you might want to consider running the Apply Trimming command on the edited clips. This will get rid of the portions of the track except for the slip edited part. As a note of caution, if you do this, you will no longer be able to uncover the slip edited portions of the track.

thanks, but the harddisk meter does not measure storage capacity, i assume it rather measure how much data it is currently reading, as if otherwise the meter should be cumulative rather then jumping up and down, am I correct?

the harddisk i use is partitioned for 33 gb, 50% free space. Ihav 5 more of these partitions, so space is not the problem. luckily.

thank sthough, much appreciated.

hardisk capacity maxed out, S3
I was going by the title of your thread. :rolleyes:

If it's throughput that's the problem, you can start by making sure that one of your discs is dedicated to your audio; while Sonar and your OS should be on the other (non-audio) disc.

Also, make sure nothing else in running in the background (e.g, virus protection, etc.). You could also try defragging the drive.

You should be OK with a 7200 rpm disc. Are you having any problems - stuttering, dropouts, etc.? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. However, if you are having problems, reducing your track count by bouncing as you suggested could help.

i'm sorry about the title. you ofcourse assumed right when reading that title. english aint my first language.

however, i tried the bouncing of tracks and instead of freeing resources it has worsened the problem. i;m running my OS on the other harddrive, defragmented, defragmented the project, tried the removal of plugins, tracks, nothing works. the project plays about a quarter note and then drops out. every time. kind of confusing... Sonar mentioned tha stereo tracks weigh heavy on the CPU so i will try that tonight. but this is really weird. i summed 12 mono tracks into one stereo track, archived the originals and now it wont play more then the mentioned quarter note before dropping out.

I alos played with the bufferI/O settings and latency settings, but with no result.

edit; I checked the CPU and harddisk meters; these are fine(between 0 and 30%). They weren;t before all the adjustments (that was the reason i started freeing up resources, harddisk meter flahshing around 97% before dropping out).

I's wanted to let you knwo the result. archiving tracks made matters worse. the system freezed on me. Strangely, when i un-archived them, sonar ran again. It is however at maximum capacity, meters flashing anxiously, but it runs. so I threw outsome plug-ins to save some CPU power.

This archive thing is ridiculous however. i will have to bounce em into a backup project.

which made me ponder about an digital mixer with dedicated processing. Although i did go mad on thias prject, it was quite a pain in the ass.

Odd.

Archiving tracks is supposed to reduce CPU load, since they don't play back. However, Sonar might still read them from the hard drive. I'm not exactly sure on this. Either way, you wouldn't expect the behavior to get worse after an archive.

Have you tried my suggestion below:
Also, if you have done a lot of slip editing to the project, you might want to consider running the Apply Trimming command on the edited clips. This will get rid of the portions of the track except for the slip edited part. As a note of caution, if you do this, you will no longer be able to uncover the slip edited portions of the track.

thank youfor the reply. i scratched my head more then once when that happened. At first i just thought the whole project had gone corrupt, but after reversing the archive command it went fine. ALso, with the archived command, i deleted about half of the plugins i was running, which didn;t help either. Sonar does mention inn their help file that stereo tacks (i bounced 11 synth tracks into one stereo track) take more cpu power. But deleting about 6 compressors and some reverb should have more then compensated for that i figured.

About the slip editing; i did try it, but it didn't work and it was late, but i'll try again tonight. thanks!

Back