Hardcore/metal song, let me know what you think!!

dawsonadod1

Working on finishing up this song for my band. I'm stuck in the mastering phase, it sounds a little to airy to me. Please let me know what you think!!

Attachments

• Animosity unfinished.mp3
    4.5 MB · Views: 44
Nice

Working on finishing up this song for my band. I'm stuck in the mastering phase, it sounds a little to airy to me. Please let me know what you think!!

sounds good! if anything get more bass on that snare. on the rolls during the break it seems more beefy so mabey its compression or limiting thats drying it out.
anyway, i really enjoyed the listen! oh and the clean vocals arent great. new take?

I'd say the toms are panned too much, they're really wide. Every time they hit it grabs my attention hard. The doubletracked panned backup vocal parts sounds really cool, but the single main vox sounds weak in comparison. I'd try just turning em down a bit, they're louder than the main front vox. Push em back in the mix. I like the song, you got more?

The toms sound like an Amiga, especially on those first two hits. Are they a sample, or just some weird effects on 'em?

Otherwise, sounds loud and brutal.

Wait... until 3:00 when the emo vox come in. You need to play much faster to have emo vocals, my friend! You can't be both a bludgeoning, scary metal band; and a sensitive, energetic emo band! :D

Thanks for all of the input! The drums are all sampled. I have taken the clean vocals out completely since i posted that. I totally agree on the panned vocals. They do need to come back now that i listen. And if you like this you can go check out our EP on iTunes! We are called A Day of Disaster!

I feel like the vocals should be a tad louder in this mix and maybe a little more treble. I do realize it's a metal/post-hardcore mix, but I think a little more treble would help the vocals shine a bit more. I didn't mind the clean vocals personally. I think that's just musical preference.

The instruments sound good, but I also think the rhythm guitar could use a bit more EQ as well. Maybe around the 2k-3k range. Primarily because rhythm guitars can make your ears feel tired during a song if there isn't enough brightness.

Of course I do realize you probably want a bassier sound for a metal track, but just adjusting the EQ for the vocals and rhythm a bit wouldn't hurt and I think it would bring a little more life to the track. I think I heard a little drum panning in there; not sure if that's the software you're using or if you added it, but it sounded good.

Overall the track composition is good for the genre. Personally I would try to fit in a breakdown/solo earlier in the song or possibly move the part with the clean vocals to an earlier part of the song. Then speed it up towards the end for a big finish. The song might also be more powerful if it were sped up a bit entirely, and of course you could throw in the double-bass since it's metal. That's just a suggestion based on the genre you're playing, but I know it's not a "mix" suggestion so take from it what you will. :)

Not what I normally listen to, although I do have a couple of Slipknot albums, anyways... Sounds good. For me the drum could be up a tad, although that could make the guitars sound less heavy. Agree with the comment about the top end (especially on the vox), but then I might be missing the point of the genre, also about the toms being too wide. Otherwise very good. just one question... how the hell do you sing like that, I find it agony just trying to sing like Billy Gibbons.

Back