Hardcore / Metal band I recorded...critique this mix please

The levels/balance seem pretty good. Might could use a touch more bass. Im listening at a low volume so its hard to say. Did you compress the overheads? They sounded a little phasey in places, probably the MP3. The vocal panning seemed a little extreme/maybe distracting at times. I would find out who is supposed to be the "lead" vocal at the different sections and mix it accordingly. What is it with these types of bands? Its like they all have to have a dozen people in their bands haha (2 vocs etc....). If you can't play tight with 2 or 3 people, adding a few more sure as hell won't help. These guys definitely need to practice more. Sounds like you gave them a good demo even if their playing doesn't really hold up.

Gorty said:
Hey Metalhead,

I had a listen on my pc so my input is limited, once I got past the vocals...well I never really did....I struggled to hear the bass, but the mix sounded fine on my pc speakers!

Guitars were up front in the mix, where I think they should be but Iam no master player myself but you did good work there for what you were working with!

Thanks alot man, I agree with you and have since bumbed up the bass somewhat.

Wireneck said:
The levels/balance seem pretty good. Might could use a touch more bass. Im listening at a low volume so its hard to say. Did you compress the overheads? They sounded a little phasey in places, probably the MP3. The vocal panning seemed a little extreme/maybe distracting at times. I would find out who is supposed to be the "lead" vocal at the different sections and mix it accordingly. What is it with these types of bands? Its like they all have to have a dozen people in their bands haha (2 vocs etc....). If you can't play tight with 2 or 3 people, adding a few more sure as hell won't help. These guys definitely need to practice more. Sounds like you gave them a good demo even if their playing doesn't really hold up.

I hadn't noticed the phasing you mentioned on the overheads, I'll try to look out for that. I have sort of settled on one vocalist, at least in most sections, to put in the middle. I had to overule the band just a bit because the panning is something they wanted as well, but it does sound better that way. Thanks alot for the listen and the comments!
You're right about the band....The only reason I can figure for the second vocalist is that their talentless buddy just had to have a piece of the action. :D haha

Not liking the snare. Kick could be louder and clickier for this type of music.
Guitars have nice tone. Vocals sound messy somehow. volumes change on the vox alot.
Dont like the song. :)
ok mix. I would replace the snare or tweak it a good bit.

Eck

I think you polished up the turd of a song pretty nice.... I don't know a whole lot, but I'd say don't beat yourself up over it, all the talent you have is from the mic placement back, don't make yourself feel bad over their lack of talent...

And if they're happy with, I say cool. And b.t.w. if you think that's "somewhat extreme" you should check out

There drummer has a gigant kit with like 30 drums (ok maybee that's a little bit of a stretch). Talk about a nightmare to mix! :eek:

JazzMasterWil said:
I think you polished up the turd of a song pretty nice.... I don't know a whole lot, but I'd say don't beat yourself up over it, all the talent you have is from the mic placement back, don't make yourself feel bad over their lack of talent...

And if they're happy with, I say cool. And b.t.w. if you think that's "somewhat extreme" you should check out

There drummer has a gigant kit with like 30 drums (ok maybee that's a little bit of a stretch). Talk about a nightmare to mix! :eek:

Hey, cool link. THAT is extreme. That reminds me of a band I used to listen to called Devourment, As in it sounds like the exact same band, haha. Actually I would love to record a band like that, that would be fun! :D I probably couldn't do it worth a shit, but it would still be fun!

Thanks for the listen guys!

I have to hail that vomit link as well (Y)(Y)(Y) Excellent music. Now that is what Im talking about! Good mixing as well.

First off, the intro guitar riff is comical. That will sell this track you almost don't have a clue where it's going when the band comes in.

First impression, there's some great panning goin on. Main vocals need to be more towards center (not centered just more towards...) and maybe alittle extra compression on the vox to bring out the heavy parts that just kinda come across as weak. Great separation on guitars don't touch them they're great, drums could have a little more snap.
Also at first listen I said, this guy is a guitar player. Everything is mixed from behind the guitar, not that I mind.

bileshake said:
First off, the intro guitar riff is comical. That will sell this track you almost don't have a clue where it's going when the band comes in.

I know, when I was recording them during that part, I heard the band come in with that triplet feel and I was like "What the hell just happened" ? :eek: :D

Thanks for the listen!

Back