Hard Limit (final mixdown)

sandwiches

Hi i'm not sure what people do after mixing down, so i thought i would share what i do, it seems to work... but i'm not if there is a better way...

firstly, i use cooledit as my tracker...

i do all my mixing in the multitracker, all the EQing, FXs, individual compression for each track, panning etc. basically everything. the multi tracker should play exactly how it should sound without compression.

at the end, i mixdown, and then i just use the hard limit function to compresses it to a level that matches a standard CD recording...

is that all i should do to the final mixdown? are there any EQing or anything else involved in the final process?

sorry it's always seemed to work fine with me, but i was just wondering what others did...

The process you are inquiring to is mastering.

Do some search on mastering techniques on the forum and the internet. Tons of info there.

The main important thing is to use your ears. Don't get blinded with the 'as loud as commercial CD's thing'. Ys, hard limiting is something you can do in a mastering stage, but do it carefully, listen very well that is not overused and matches the genre. Hard limiting can kill all dynamics.

In the mastering stage yopu can also use some extra EQ and a multiband compressor to make things find its balance in the spectrum.

These are just a few guidelines to get you started on your search. Good luck!

Well it's not an uncommon approach to hard limit the living fuck out mixes lately, but I've always looked at it like this big "logical mistake". The "limiter Era". :eek:

By that I mean, it seems logical to just set a good boundry that you can push at the end of your mix....and that's alright. But the side effects can be so adverse, it's something I'd use as a last option.

For example, if you blow out something like an L2 (have more than 3b effect), then you really start to hear this "busted speaker" feel to it. The effects are slightly worse on transients (snare hits, kicks, etc.) than on other things, but not by far.

So what you're doing is not wrong, just incomplete...well that just depends. The harder you push that mix, the more change in EQ you'll have to make. And yes, even limiters have limits :D. And even then, by definition, limiters don't change EQ in the way compressing does.

You could try compressing in stages. That helps control your mixes every step of the way and every little squeeze helps just a tiny bit more (in bringing up a good level.)

I'd explain more, but I just got back from a 3 day torture session, so I'll leave my 2 cents as is. ;)

sandwiches said:
Hi i'm not sure what people do after mixing down, so i thought i would share what i do, it seems to work... but i'm not if there is a better way...

firstly, i use cooledit as my tracker...

i do all my mixing in the multitracker, all the EQing, FXs, individual compression for each track, panning etc. basically everything. the multi tracker should play exactly how it should sound without compression.

at the end, i mixdown, and then i just use the hard limit function to compresses it to a level that matches a standard CD recording...

is that all i should do to the final mixdown? are there any EQing or anything else involved in the final process?

sorry it's always seemed to work fine with me, but i was just wondering what others did...

I think most of what you need is here: http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/329221.html

I usually just use the AudioCompander effect over the whole track, and experiment with the ratio: 2.5:1, then 2.4:1, etc. One ends up working pretty well.

Also what I do is A/B during mastering with a CD that has an end result I'm going for. Usually I need to EQ my song to get close. Don't do a huge V or anything, but play around if needed. My computer makes it sound like it has less bass and more highs than it really does. I'm experimenting with mixing down to an external tape machine to get some natural tape saturation and then "re-recording" it back into cool edit for finishing touches. Seems to add another dimension.

this is fine, and depending on the music might work well. but what you are avoiding is actually tweaking that last stage. if you can't hear the damage that the limiter is doing, then it either isn't doing any damage or you are getting what you deserve. if you were to mix down your file without the limiting though, and import it to a new file, it would let you sit back and *listen* to what you are doing, instead of following a formula. but a formula is a good place to start.

Back