Hard Drives for Audio Recording & Large VSTi's?

Mongoo

I need 3 hard drives. One for programs, one for Uncompressed Wav recording and other data and one for Large VSTi's. Some brands that seem popular are Samsung, Western Digital, and Seagate. I see seagate uses perpendicular read and write. Don't know if this would be a positive or negative though for audio recording and large samples like Ivory.

Can anyone share what they know about the brands and whether to go with a drive that uses perpendicular read/write or not? Drives that that make less noise is a plus naturally.

Thanks

Also...

How many of you run your Daw on a raid array like Raid 0? Does it boost performance that much or is one SATA 3.0g/sec good enough for individual read of sample playback and wav writing & playback. (samples on a separate drive than the wavs)

Seagate perpindicular perform excellent for audio, whether recording audio or streaming samples. I regularly record 64 simultaneous tracks to a single seagate drive with no problems at all at 24/48.

I also use those drives for the full Vienna Symphonic Cube which is WAY bigger than Ivory. I split the library between about 4 drives for best performance, and I do not use RAID.

Ive been testing a new version of the Western Digital that is perpindicular as well, and seems to perform nearly identical to the Seagates in real world Pro Audio applications.

I have been very happy with how my Seagates have perfomred in all aspects. I do not use a ton of heavy samples, but the Bosendorfer vsti seems pretty strenuous, but my drives have no issues with it. What I have noticed over the years is that Maxtor inevitably almost always leads to a disastor, Western Digital seems pretty decent but I have had a few go down, but my Seagates on the other hand have just falt out been champs:)

Back