Hard drive with D-160

markert

Went ahead and got a new D-160v2 for remote recording. Great deal - $799 new from Musician's Friend (had to kind of talk them into it). I haven't fired it up yet, but I did crack open the drive caddy. Voila! I think the thing shipped with a 30 gig quantum hard drive. The ad said it shipped with 2.55 gig, but the serial number seems to place it at 30 gig. Quantum Fireball Plus LM with serial # LM30A014-01-A 30.0AT. Has anyone else experienced this windfall? Heck, the drive itself would cost over $100.

I am trying t find in the manual how to check drive size when the machine is fired up. Any suggestions?

Also, it seems the only way to monitor this unit is to mix all tracks down to stereo with an outbaord mixer. I use dedicated preamps in the field. Any way to monitor all sixteen tracks without a mixer?

Thanks.

It'll tell you how big it is once the drive is formatted.

And in answer to the second question: it's a 16-track, tapeless tape machine. In much the same way as your Ampex, Otari, or MCI 2" 16-track machine does not have a hack/kluge internal mixer, this one doesn't either.

Solution: a compact 16-channel board (the Alesis Studio 32 is a very cost-effective match for the 16-track Foxtex rigs), or premix your basics down to 2, monitor those to overdub against in the field, and deal with it that way.

It is not an all-singing, all-dancing, Swiss Army Knife everything-box machine. It is a tapeless tape machine, period. Mixing, effects, monitoring: all are done externally. All it does is record and reproduce 16 tracks...

Here in Aust. they were originally supplied without a H/drive( it was available at a cost)...........mine arrived with a 10Gb drive fitted, so I guess someone at the importers stuffed up.......:) .

I actually spoke to the importers here yesterday and confirmed that a new software upgrade is available to increase H/d capacity to 70Gb.

"............... It is a tapeless tape machine, period. Mixing, effects, monitoring: all are done externally. All it does is record and reproduce 16 tracks.........." BUT it does allow editing, etc.

Peace..........ChrisO

:cool:

Back