hard drive upgrade

lronhoover

I'm wanting to get a bigger harddrive. From what I've read I think I should go with a WD 7200 rpm 40 GB? Is this correct. My computer is a HP, 17 GB DMA HD (not sure of the speed) , 384 ram( added from the 128 about a month ago) Pen 3, 500 MHZ. For recording I use PA 9, a 16 bit Layla and Gina. I'm tired of getting a few songs going and having to save to disc to get another song on the computer to work with. So I figure more HD would do the trick. Thanks for the help.

lronhoover said:
I'm wanting to get a bigger harddrive. From what I've read I think I should go with a WD 7200 rpm 40 GB? Is this correct. My computer is a HP, 17 GB DMA HD (not sure of the speed) , 384 ram( added from the 128 about a month ago) Pen 3, 500 MHZ. For recording I use PA 9, a 16 bit Layla and Gina. I'm tired of getting a few songs going and having to save to disc to get another song on the computer to work with. So I figure more HD would do the trick. Thanks for the help.
Not quite sure what you are asking. If you only have a one small HD now, then most certainly you will benefit by adding a second - both in extra storage space, and in better performance. As you indicate, make sure to get one rated at 7200 RPM.

On a PIII 500 MHz, I'm guessing it is not rated for ATA100. That shouldn't be a major issue, as I believe you can use an ATA100 (or 133) drive at lower transfer rates. Or you could invest in a new controller. However, if you not having any issues today (other than storage) I don't think I'd bother.

BTW, this topic would have been better suited for the Sound Card/Computer forum.

Last edited:
Back