hard drive RPM

memphissound

I did a search for HDD rpm's and saw a lot of recommendations for 7200 RPM speeds. But why? How does the disk speed effect recording? Shouldn't the bit transfer rate be the determining factor? Just wondering?

Peace <><

In general, a 7200rpm drive will have better access times and throughput, vs a 5400rpm drive. If you want even better disk performance, go with SCSI drives, which can have extremely low access times and much more throughput (and also spin as fast as 15,000rpm).

Bottom line - Faster drive = more tracks at a time.

HDD RPM...

So it's not that the trasfer is faster, but that it can locate the proper position on the disk to read/write from faster. Right?

Peace <><

The reasons to go with a 5400rpm are price, heat, and noise. However these factors are negligible in the average tower case. The 7200rpm is the way to go.

Just a word of advice when shopping for a HD, the IBM Deskstar series (75GXP and to some extent 60GXP) have had quality control problems lately with some people. I had a 60GXP that failed on me after a couple weeks. I would stay away from buying one for a while.

Back