Hard drive deal

*shrugs* That's a 5900 RPM drive (weird) for within $5 of what a 7200 RPM drive costs from any of a dozen vendors that don't:

* abuse trademark law and sue companies over product codenames....
* have a pattern of unanswered complaints with the BBB
* have a history of problems with mail-in rebates
* pull every dirty trick in the book to try to force negative reviews to go away

http://www.resellerratings.com/foru...-advice/118789-tigerdirect-scams-ratings.html

I wouldn't buy from TigerDirect if they were the last company on Earth, particularly when this isn't a particularly good deal. :)

Just had a Seagate Barracuda fail 30days old.

Last edited:
Just had a Seagate Barracuda fail 30days old. Generation 11 Seagate drives were failing at an epidemic rate and covered up. Mine was a generation 12 and it failed too. My guess is that Seagate may be planning to grab what money they can before SSDs take over. For a few more bucks you can get a Hitatchi with much faster Read/Write speeds. If your on an absolute budget go WD. IMO.

I, too, have had less than stellar luck with Seagates. Two years ago, I experienced five HD failures in the course of a single year, all but two of which were Seagate.

On the other hand, two of the the drives were replaced by Seagate drives (sometimes different models), and both have been solid ever since. The third, I haven't bothered to return because it was a PATA drive that I won't ever use again anyway. If they last past the first year, you probably are in good shape; the oldest one of mine that died was at about the 9 month mark.

And the reason I had more Seagates die is that I had more drives die. That one year, I lost every single hard drive I owned that was under a year old plus one older drive. All of them. One WD, one Hitachi, the rest Seagate. That year was a bloodbath, and reminded me that hard drives by EVERY vendor are ALL crap.

SSDs should eventually improve things, but for now, we have to put up with hard drives. Thus, remember to keep multiple offline backups of everything on multiple disks.

"Which hard drive brand is the best" is one of those questions that are always bouncing around. Ask a dozen people and you will get a dozen different answers. Recently I've had a few Western Digital drives die on me. I've also noticed that the Seagate drives seem to have the longest warranty period of anyone right now.

5900 RPM is fine for a data drive, which is what this would be. Agreed you would want a solid state drive or at least a 7200 for your system drive.

As for Tiger Direct, a.k.a. CompUSA.com, a.k.a. CircuitCity.com - I've been buying from them for many years, never had a problem. My company buys from them all the time, never had a problem.

Last edited:
I just bought a Western Digital usb 3.0 1 terabyte drive and I love it! No garbage software installed. Comes with usb 3.0 port. VERY FAST and great casing (disipates heat very good). I looked at every external hard drive I could find and this seemed to be BY FAR the best deal around this price range.

Back