Hard Disks...

poo

Does anyone know what brand name of hard disk seems best for recording? In the 40 GB range...Also, im not sure if my board supports ATA/133....all I know is i need more storage and something that is best suited for audio.

thanks

These days, they are all so close in specs it really is a non-issue - added, there are not as many companies as there use to be either.

That said. I like the Seagate drives lately, very quiet and perform just fine.

List system specs, what motherboard etc. and I'm sure someone can provide more info.

thanks
Sorry, im not too good with technical computer stuff.

well right now i'm working with this:
ATX VA5 Mainboard (MS-6309)
600 MHz intel celeron
256 RAM
Windows XP Professional

I'm really not familiar with anything else. I'm good with the software...but I have alot to learn about hardware.

" Stay away from Quantum and Western Digital - they're not reliable. "

I agree with the WD remark, but Maxtor/Quantum drives are decent these days.

Emeric said:
" Stay away from Quantum and Western Digital - they're not reliable. "

I agree with the WD remark, but Maxtor/Quantum drives are decent these days.

I heared lots of positive things about Quantum Fireball????? who is wrong?:)

The ST340016A is a great drive, poo.

"I heared lots of positive things about Quantum Fireball????? who is wrong?"

It's the old chev versus ford thing. :)

Whatever works, now, is the important spec.

I can't tell you about Quantum new drives.

I know that Maxtor are good, but not sure that Qantum=Maxtor,
although I saw Quantum chips on Maxtor hard drives.

Anyway, as a PC technician, I came across to many Quantum bad drivers, although these were old 2-8Gb drives.

Not sure about the quality of Quantum's new models...

Maxtor and Quantum merged over a year ago.

I don't understand what you mean about bad drivers, unless you meant sectors or bad drives in general. The older maxtor and WD drives were the ones I've found fail most. These days fujitsu's are giving me the most grief, but they are out of the IDE market now. The older seagate/conner IDE drives were problematic to say the least, but the new ones are nice.

Swear by IBM. Got a few of them running around, scsi, ide, 5400, 7200, 10.000 whatever: all solid performers. Just the 10.000's need a fan or they get very hot.

I just bought a Seagate Barracuda IV and it's VERY quiet compared to my other HD. 80gigs for only about $103 including shipping at newegg.com. It is also benchmarked as the fastest drive on average (on all sections of the drive) by tomshardware.com. It's a 7200 RPM one, so it's plenty fast for audio recording.

Hope that helps. I have found it to be a great drive.

"Bad drivers" are those that don't boot up anymore, work VERY slowly suddenly or have any other mechanical problems ... (thought that was obvious...)

Back