HaNon B70 Hammond B3 VST

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I happened upon a nice B3 Organ VSTi yesterday. It's free, but I'm going to contribute (buy the guy a beer :drunk: ). I had to download VST, .exe, and .dll files separately. This wouldn't appear in Reaper's FX from my Plugins folder so I moved it over to the Steinberg/VSTPlugins folder and that did it.

I've been trying hard not to get back into synth music, but after listening to a basement recording of a song by our ex-lead guitarist/bandleader in a short-lived band, all I could hear in my head was a re-write with some good organ.

This wouldn't appear in Reaper's FX from my Plugins folder so I moved it over to the Steinberg/VSTPlugins folder and that did it.
I downloaded the instrument to check it out.

I simply downloaded the vst file which came zipped. I extracted it to my my usual vst folder, i.e. C: program files/vst plugins, and also found it missing when I loaded Reaper.

However, when I checked the preferences in Reaper, I noticed that folder wasn't in the path. I xied that, and it appeared.

Curiously, my 32bit Reaper had that path, but not the 64 bit version.

I have quite a lot of VSTs that have downloaded right into my Plugins folder, so the path is there for me - some of them don't and I have to move them into another folder. I haven't figured it out yet.

I simply downloaded the vst file which came zipped. I extracted it to my my usual vst folder, i.e. C: program files/vst plugins, and also found it missing when I loaded Reaper.

However, when I checked the preferences in Reaper, I noticed that folder wasn't in the path. I xied that, and it appeared.
What's your path? I'll compare it to mine.

I happened upon a nice B3 Organ VSTi yesterday. It's free, but I'm going to contribute (buy the guy a beer :drunk: ). I had to download VST, .exe, and .dll files separately. This wouldn't appear in Reaper's FX from my Plugins folder so I moved it over to the Steinberg/VSTPlugins folder and that did it.

I've been trying hard not to get back into synth music, but after listening to a basement recording of a song by our ex-lead guitarist/bandleader in a short-lived band, all I could hear in my head was a re-write with some good organ.

Listen to the samples - the Organ sounds thin a lot of the time.

Some of the factory presets sound full - too me, but keys aren't my instrument so I can't comment too much there. Someone such as @TAE here could offer some objective feedback.

I listened to the demo and it sounds just fine.....totally can get the B3 sound...ran through a leslie you'd be hard pressed to be able to distinguish between the two. These days there are a ton of VST apps that do a great job even iPad apps amazing...

I totally thought I was going to go the app / vst way and midi keyboard controller until I did a gig with an ipad and found myself scrambling to use the internal sounds in the keyboard I was using...fortunately it wasn't just a controller...for me that sealed the deal for not using VST's live at least for now...
Love em in the studio but it is a cavernous dark hole.....I have a little box that is a hybrid from the creamware stuff of 20 years ago called the plugiator...holy shit I could spend months toodling around with the synths in that thing soo cool...but it sits in my arsenal almost never used...KVR is an abyss of VST's

The Mojo which is a sweet "hardware vintage keys" board is actually just a controller with a dedicated processor using VST's for the sounds...for the hammond sounds they actually use the VB3 vsti which is a damn good emulator

I listened to the demo and it sounds just fine.....totally can get the B3 sound...ran through a leslie you'd be hard pressed to be able to distinguish between the two. These days there are a ton of VST apps that do a great job even iPad apps amazing...

I totally thought I was going to go the app / vst way and midi keyboard controller until I did a gig with an ipad and found myself scrambling to use the internal sounds in the keyboard I was using...fortunately it wasn't just a controller...for me that sealed the deal for not using VST's live at least for now...
Love em in the studio but it is a cavernous dark hole.....I have a little box that is a hybrid from the creamware stuff of 20 years ago called the plugiator...holy shit I could spend months toodling around with the synths in that thing soo cool...but it sits in my arsenal almost never used...KVR is an abyss of VST's

The Mojo which is a sweet "hardware vintage keys" board is actually just a controller with a dedicated processor using VST's for the sounds...for the hammond sounds they actually use the VB3 vsti which is a damn good emulator.

I guess most all keys today are like the mojo just most ( Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Casio ) use their proprietary software as opposed to VSTs out on the market

I listened to the demo and it sounds just fine.....totally can get the B3 sound...ran through a leslie you'd be hard pressed to be able to distinguish between the two...
This VST does have Leslie set-ups and controls - it helps a lot.

This VST does have Leslie set-ups and controls - it helps a lot.
Yep most do and they sound so damn good I got rid of my B3 and leslie! I was sold at an Amos Lee concert about 10 years ago or so..keyboard player was playing a Nord...Man it sounded great and where's the leslie? After the show I went and studied the gear on the stage ..nope no leslie anywhere...So I bought the Nord....I did a few more concerts with the B3 and then did one at the same venue with the Nord...No way you could tell the difference in the videos...Yes playing a B3 "feels much different" cooler and looks so cool too but the loading and unloading to and from a gig....after watching that video ........Hammond B3 and leslie FOR SALE a few weeks later...C-ya Bye to those back breakers... MAYBE someday in my studio I'll buy another b3 if I hit the lotto....I do have an m3 stashed in the room and the Lester K emulater but it NEVER gets broken out..

Here's a side by side with my old native instruments B4 - in fact it's amazing for a free vsti. I found this unmixed thing and replaced every other 12 bar organ with the freebie. I shoved the organs up in the mix and just took the others in a straight line - so there's bum notes and mess in places - it does expose the organ though. The clue is that the last organ is the B4 one I alway use - every other 12 bar swaps. I think it's just thin and a bit too clean - I'm keeping it on the system though.

Attachments

• hammondtest.mp3
    12.3 MB
Thanks, Rob. Good comparison. It does fall away some in the low end. Maybe running it through an amp sim would fill it out.

I think it could definitely be warmed up with a bit of care and attention - it's not at all a bad sim. It actually reminded me of the difference between the B3 and C3 and the more home oriented spinet-type electronic versions that never had that roughnesss. I could have bought a C3 in 1984, and turned it down because I couldn't get it home.

I happened upon a nice B3 Organ VSTi yesterday. It's free,
Cool I ll check it out.
I've been trying hard not to get back into synth music,
It is USELESS to Resist US!

Maybe running it through an amp sim would fill it out.
Could I just run it out the outputs on the interface? How would I do this?

Two computers, one with an apollo USB on the recieving side, and a Computer with my line 6 UX2 sending the VST output to amp. Two ASIOs. Wait..I went to far..

It actually reminded me of... ...and the more home oriented spinet-type electronic versions that never had that roughnesss.
I think you nailed it with that.

This Leslie does have a Clean<-->Dirty Drive adjustment - sounds a bit rough to my ears but it could blend in with a mix, I suppose.

I've got to get into the soft synth thing. I'll just warn you, I'm going to need help. Lot's of help.

Nothing fancy. Pads, pianos, electric pianos, some strings, and definitely a B3.

And I'm not a keyboard player.

Just as a benchmark of what a hammond B3 can sound like ...My hammond 101 class back in 1969...damn boy could play and make that hammond scream and he could scream pretty well his damn self.... That's a Krueger bass added to the hammond bass pedals ..Just Lee n Frosty the whole album recorded in 6 hours o_O

Lachey is doing a pretty good job of carrying on the tradition...Love this guy...ya oughta see what he does with a wurlitzer and a whammy bar!

Back