Hanging fiberglass from the ceiling

hookiefree

I didn't want to hijack the fabric thread but it actually reminded me that I have these wrapped 2x2 panels to go in the ceiling corners but I have no clue how to hang them. All my ideas proved to be worthless. Anyone have any ideas that don't require tearing up my ceiling and walls?

hookiefree said:
I didn't want to hijack the fabric thread but it actually reminded me that I have these wrapped 2x2 panels to go in the ceiling corners but I have no clue how to hang them. All my ideas proved to be worthless. Anyone have any ideas that don't require tearing up my ceiling and walls?

Sew a loop onto the back of the panel, and attach with twine or yarn to an eyehook in the corner.

Hmmm sewing. I would have never thought of that. I invested a small fortune in snaps so that I wouldn't have to sew. I think I can handle a couple loops though. Thanks.

So, your panels are essentially pillows, more or less? Meaning no internal wooden frame of any kind?

Normally, if you build them using a thin pine frame, you attach screw eyes to the frame after you cover it in fabric, then use wire or twine to suspend it from the ceiling.

If you didn't frame it out, sewing loops works fine. You could even glue the loops with a fabric glue, available in sewing/fabric supply places, like JoAnn Fabrics. I'm there quite a bit actually, since I have been doing a lot of vehicle interior work lately...

Yeah I'm quite familiar with JoAnn's now too (I don't quilt either). I didn't know about the fabric glue though. That sounds like exactly what I need. I'll get on that this weekend. How strong is that stuff though? The 2x2 doubled 4lb dens. panels are pretty heavy.

The glue I use (for the life of me I can't remember who makes it, its in the glue section though in a white bottle with blue lettering), is very strong. I've used it many times to glue together portions of vehicle interiors that one can't properly clip together using hog rings. And nothing has come apart that I'm aware of...

The key is to let it dry completely. I often let things sit for about 24-30 hours before putting the piece I'm working on into service. I've glued fabric backed vinyl to homemade dashboards, glued denim to overhead and floor consoles, tweed to door panels, etc. All of these items are not suspended by the glue, but they are easily abused inside a vehicle. Radical temperature changes, people bumping overhead consoles with their heads, etc.

BTW, you can even use heavy duty staples. I thought of that last night after I had signed off.

Back