Handheld digital recorder question

Gusset

Hi there.

I have a Tascam DR-40 hand held digital recorder. I don't have the most critical ear, but I have been pleased with the quality of the internal mics.

Amazon.com: TASCAM DR-40 4-Track Portable Digital Recorder: Musical Instruments

One thing I use it for is easy-setup recording of band practices. I'm using the external inputs for two instrument signals. I use the AB mic orientation (mics pointing out) and place it between the drum kit and a guitar amp. Nothing like a studio recording, but it provides a basic 4-channel recording, and the instruments feeding into the external inputs can even be adjusted for level before I export the entire thing into an MP3 to send to the band members.

My question: is there a simple way to go about slightly increasing the isolation of the two internal mics so each side will pick up slightly more from one direction and less from the other? I can see a difference in the two when I load the .wav file into Audacity, but there's not quite enough isolation to work with. I've tried playing with the positioning of the unit to put the drum kit in the weak zone of the cardioid shape for one mic and the same for the guitar amp on the other, but given that it's usually a smallish room with low ceilings, it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Could some sort of physical barrier over the top of and between the internal microphones have an impact? If so, what would be the best sort of material to use? No doubt I'm really asking too much of such a rudimentary setup, and I'm happy enough with the way it is...it's portable, easy to set up wherever we end up practicing, and the quality of what I'm getting is good enough for our needs, and is better than I probably have a right to expect.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi there,
You know you can adjust the two mics from XY so that they're facing away from each other?

They're not not really about separation - they're about stereo image. An essential part of that is the common signal.
Basically it's mean to record what your ears would hear, kinda.

If you want separation, it has two XLR inputs. You'd be better with two separate mics and cables of whatever length you need.
You could experiment with some kind of baffle between the two but you don't have much space at all.
If you point the mics outwards and remove the metal bars, you might get a 2" baffle board in there? I'm not sure how well it would work, though.

Back