half rack gear

I've always made a rack mount for them out of blank 1U rack spacers. That or mounted them on a rack shelf. But damn near all gear sold like that has some rack mount option from the factory.

I use velcro to stick them on the unit below them in the rack. With a unit above them, the half units are held in place just fine and don't work loose, even on the road.

I tried several shelves, rack adapters, and nothing ever fit quite right for whatever reason.

Velcro is the answer for me.

Ditto the Velcro...I have a couple simple flat rack trays with odd-sized equipment in my slanted cabinet. I have a couple heavier items so I used the heavy duty velcro...made by 3M...instead of having the fuzzy material, it's got itty-bitty nylon/plastic fingers and has a killer sticky side. Once it's on, IT'S ON.

Frederic, thats a really good idea!!

Well, when my dad made my desk, I had space that was going to be for like media storage and stuff, I didnt think about putting any racks in the desk, but when I put an RNC that I was borrowing from a friend, I was like "hey that fits perfect" (except for a little on the sides...I bought some rack rails, and it fits PERFECT for all half rack gear! If they dont have the holes for it to be rack mounted, just get a rack tray and then use Frederic's and Punkin's idea of the velcro :)

applejax said:
Frederic, thats a really good idea!!

Thanks. It works well too.

I go out of my way to avoid half-rack gear as much as possible. I do have some, but over time most of them have been sold on e-bay and replaced with more modern, more flexible units. Though now-a-days I see a lot more half-units springing up in musician's friend catalog... I guess a lot of people like them because they can make a smaller stack on their mixing desk.

I dunno, us heavyweight gear-sluts need racks.

Back