Haggling at Guitar Center

mrface2112 said:
yeah, except that it isn't. you're welcome to pay whatever the posted price. the "good guy price" is typically reserved for those who have cultivated relationships and spent a good amount of money. it's a quid-pro-quo sort of deal.

no, you really don't. and personally, i think it's pretty sad when people haggle over a quarter or fifty cents on a pack of strings......but whatever. i prefer to fight my battles--and beating the guy down on a set of strings won't get you the extra sweet smokin deal on that high-end mic pre you've been wanting come clearance time.

you have fun with that. i prefer to have run my hands over the neck of the guitar and make sure the guitar has some mojo........or have plugged in that amp and make sure it has a little tone.......or make sure that mic works as it should.......etc.

i could never buy a guitar i'd never played before.

cheers,
wade

I hear ya. I should clarify - what I'm saying is, sometimes I'll go in and they tell me $8-9 for a pack of strings that two weeks ago they sold me for $4.99. Sure I'm going to pitch a fit over that type of inconsistency, it's twice the price.

As far as the good-guy thing, there was a GC sales guy that said he was really giving me a smoking deal on an amp like I was his bud, when in fact when I checked it out further at home after declining his high presssure sales pitch, he wasn't hooking me up at all. It's like I have to walk in there with the latest Musician's Friend catalog, a laptop, an accountant, and Mick Mars (visual intimidation).

I can understand not wanting to order a guitar without playing it - but I'm guilty of that too.

Interesting thread, even surprised myself that I stayed with it and read all five pages of posts. Maybe because me and my drummer just dropped about $4500 in PA equipment on Saturday at a local GC.

With that said I couldn't agree more with Richard and others that the nice but knowledgeable guy is the right approach. Build relationships with the GC staff and store manager. As a matter of fact we talked with the store manager for 20 minutes in the drum department before we went over the Live sound area. The Live sound guys know us as well, in fact the assistant store manager also works in Live sound/Pro Audio dept. We have purchased there lots before, they know when we walk in, we know what we are talking about, know what the right price points ought to be, and actually we haggle very little over the price. They also know that if they invest time with us their investment of time will pay off. The sales guy is a regular person just like me trying to make a living, but if he likes me, he is more willing to cut a good deal right out of the gate then to the guy who acts like a jerk.

Let me be clear to those of you who have posted here who are employed by a Guitar Center. Your competency and knowledge of the products you are selling is of value to this consumer. I don't only deal with the store manager, but if you don't have a clue about what you are selling, or worse try to pretend you do, I won't deal with that sales rep. There is nothing that will make me take my business somewhere else faster then a sales guy trying to sell me on something when I know 10 times more then he does about a particular product. Unfortunately this happens more often then it should at GC or Sam Ash or others. To be really successful at sales you have to know your product inside and out, and do at least as much (probably more) research and knowledge gathering as your customer does.

Which get me to my main point. I have been in the sales/marketing business in a top 10 Fortune 500 company for a long time and have been involved in and closed many multi-million dollar deals with Fortune 500 companies. The first lesson in sales is, people buy from people they like and trust. You need to demonstrate you have an vested interest in their success. They want to know you care about the success of what they are trying to do, and you are extremely knowledgeable about whatever product you are selling and how it can help them accomplish their goal.

I need to make a profit in my business just as Guitar Center does in there business. Yes I want a good price, a knowledgeable product sales person , but I am also want Guitar Center to make a profit. If they don't make a profit that local guitar center won't be there for long. You as a consumer shouldn't go in there expecting/hoping to get a deal underneath their cost or even at their cost, just as you don't work at your day job for free. Lets face it the Rolling Stones don't give away their CD's away for FREE. You also pay for their expertise at their craft, but the Stones wouldn't still be around if all they did was lose money for themselves and their record company.

Very good point...

One thing I want to touch on though is product knowledge.. I know the home studio inside and out, and I know how to set them up, trouble shooting, software, etc... But ask me about an Akai MPC drum machine and I am pretty clueless. BUT.. I do sell many Akai machines, and the way I go about it is to tell the customer straight up that I don't really know jack about working on them. I don't try to BS them with product knowledge that I read off of the box, I just say hey, "let's learn some stuff together here." Same with a lot of karaoke, dj, and live sound stuff, it's outside the realm of the stuff I work with myself so my product knowledge is lacking there. But, in sales, you're more selling yourself to the customer. I learn sooo much from my customers and I tell them that, and they work with me regardless if my product knowledge is lacking in a certain area.

I would never buy anything at GC. I will find it online cheaper, won't have to haggle, and won't have feel dirty about being in GC. I don't know, I just don't like those places at all. I feel like I'm buying crap everyone else is, and they tend to push the latest trends, rightly or wrongly.

Basically, the way I get good prices is that I go in with a whole list of things I want to buy. Not nessicarily stuff I want to buy that day, but stuff I want to buy in general. As the price for everything all together goes up, start picking certain items and saying maybe I shouldn't get that today. Prices will drop quickly at that point.

Sometimes I'll tell them exactly how much I have to spend, and what I want. Most of the sales people are pretty cool, and they'll work you into a good deal.

The biggest thing, and this has been mentioned many times, don't be a dick. And don't waltz in like you deserve a discount; that just makes you look like a pretensious ass!

valverec said:
I would never buy anything at GC. I will find it online cheaper, won't have to haggle, and won't have feel dirty about being in GC. I don't know, I just don't like those places at all. I feel like I'm buying crap everyone else is, and they tend to push the latest trends, rightly or wrongly.
Well, you are buying crap that everyone else is, you're just buying it sight unseen! ;)

Seriously, though - I don't rely on GC personnel to get an education on their inventory. Even the knowledgeable sales people can't have the depth of knowledge to cover all the stuff in the store. So I do my homework and have an idea of what I want and what the lowest verifiable price is. I'm always polite to the salespeople and they always seem willing to work with me.

Like apl, I find that if you buy something worth a little bit of money they are willing to give deep discounts on the little stuff - strings, stands, straps, etc., because those are high-margin items and, being cheap to begin with, they can afford to sell them at near cost.

Either GC is going downhill in general, or the Indianapolis GC is a poor cousin in the family. I used to enjoy shopping at the GC in Boston. (Commonwealth Ave.) And I could at least find what I was looking for in the Chicago area GC's. In Indy, frequently many of the items advertised in their mailings and internet advertising are not present in the store. Also, for a while they were taking in so much used gear the place looked like a pawn shop. You had to sort through a lot of old, overpriced junk to find the new stock.

And, unfortunately, the Mom & Pop store in the smaller city I live in hates negotiating. They grimace as if in pain every time I suggest it. Most of their stuff is marked at FULL retail.

Ouch!!!

Earthbound you are right on in your approach and I probably should have worded my comments slightly differently. I know you can't possibly know everything about every piece of equipment in your inventory, just don't pretend to (based on your comments you don't), because I have seen it more then once. As long as you are up-front about it, then yeah I would work with you. It's the reps who pretend they are the expert just trying to make a sale, I can spot that in the first three minutes of talking with them. But the high dollars items in your department you should know or at least have a fairly good working knowledge of . The guys I dealt with last weekend were great and knowledgeable and provided value.

As for those of you who say I will never buy from GC. Well that's your right, but you only get pushed into buying the same crap or latest trend if you walk in their unprepared. With the amount of information on the WEB today, why would you ever walk into GC and buy something you had no clue about or user feedback about. Believe me when I just dropped $4500 the other day, I knew before I said hello to the GC reps exactly what I was looking for. I may have asked for other options to consider (which I also already was educated about), but I let my ears decided from there. The other value to Guitar Center is it provides us all the ability to listen to a Crown power amp vs QSC power amp hooked up various speakers, so I can make the best choice for me after having done my research. I mean I would never buy a guitar on the WEB I hadn't played before, or amplifier I hadn't test drove. The Web just doesn't provide that.

Back