Had one of my tunes mastered by a friend. How does it sound?

bigmahon

Still learning
Hi gang,

I finally got around to have one of my tunes mastered by someone who knows what he's doing. I think it sounds great, but would appreciate your critique/feedback.

Love You More

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry guys. I tried to link through another site, but it wasn't having it for some reason. Back to good old soundclick then. ;)

I fixed my link also now.

Love You More

Chris

I thought the backing track, i.e. drums+rhythm guitar+bass (the little that there is) was seriously overcompressed. The lead guitar does come nicely over it (my favourite part of the song actually), but you can still hear there's too much compression - I think you'd need a much more busy mid-range arrangement to conceal that. I think the general idea about what to do with the vocals, i.e. double tracking and spreading, was right, but they do "hang" to the right too much not to draw attention to themselves in the wrong way.

It sounds weird. I have a hard time focusing on the music. Accept when it's only music playing and it's kind of harsh sounding. Can't turn it up too loud. It's too compressed as well.

On my speakers it sounds like the vocals get PUMPED UP at times and everything else gets pushed WAY back. It's very distracting.

I'll listen to it a few more times in the morning just to make sure my ears aren't playing tricks on me.

It's definitely mastered - good volume, solid level throughout, punchy. The mix is good too, you can tell because it holds up under the compression. Every things got its place and is easily distinguishable. I would have mixed/arranged differently but I have to give you kudos on YOUR arrangement/mix. It's cool and not the "cookie cutter" style.... that makes it appealing....:):D:):D

Back