Had another A&H moment

Downside Studio

My God, sometimes i just can't believe companies are putting stuff on the market just like that. The other day i was in a tv recording and was using a little a&h wizard as additional mixer for the livesound in the studio. I noticed that when i tapped the housing of the mixer, the right master output would produce a bang up to 0db on the meters!!!!....It didn't matter where i (gently) tapped it....MY GOD

So i put a defect sticker on the mixer, and back in the storage i saw later that day another one....and guess what...that one to!

Sick

never used a mixwizard but during my career I've owned a GS1, GS3, and a SABER PLUS, I've also done a lot of work on the GS3000.....never had a problem with any of them although the Saber could have used a recap with it being 18 years old when I sold it. Great EQ, very useable pre's, excellent routing options.....

First I've heard of this fault. Very strange to find two in the same building with it...maybe someone's wired them up wrong and fried something.

Actualy....does it happen when you just put your finger on the board and not tap it? Could be an earthing issue.

Nop, you had to tap the housing.

The reason this thread is called 'another' ah moment is because this is not my first encounter with poorly fabricated a&h. I know the gs2000 series had a very bad design regarding the powersupply. I friend if mine is the repairsmen for a big distributer and refused to work on those when he found out that a known fault just had been used again in a new design. Much of those powersupplies output a big hum, sounding just like an earthloop. (which it actually wasn't)

Anyway, this is not to bash A&H ( i think in a homestudio as long as you don't touch it, it would do a pretty good job), but it is clearly these mixers are not for carrying around. Though almost every little pa company does so.

well I know a LOT of guys that do FOH that swear by the GL series and I'm not talking "little companys". Also, there never was a GS2000 you claimed to have a humming problem. ;)

Well, I don't know about any experienced FOH engineers "swearing" by GL mixers. They aren't the greatest sounding things, but they absolutely hold their own as far as durability, price, and quality ( within comparable price ranges ). I run a pro audio company. We have had a system 8, GL3, GL 3000, GL 4, ML5000 and 4 Mix Wiz's. They ONLY travel around, and I have never had the problem that you had with any of them. Sure over the years some normal stuff has popped up here and there, but so have my Midas's:)

I agree. And it sounds like your experiences have given you a bad taste in your mouth about Allen Heath, and I don't blame you. At the same time though, I wanted to point out my experiences since I have had many and they have almost all been good:)

Back