Guitar with Piano and the use of the right notes

therealHESKO

I am a bit of a rookie in music teory. But I want to comp my guitar with piano. But I dont want to use the same chords on piano and on guitar. I feel they ruin eachother.
What notes do I use and how do I know? is the quintcircle(dont know if it is spelled like that) ?

In advanced I appologize if this is the wrong place to post this question

HESKO

Experiment.
If the chords are being played on the guitar, use the piano to part complement, part shadow and part counter-melody what you hear in the chord progression.
I don't know if you find this, but when I put together a run of chords on guitar, little melodies and counter-melodies nearly always "suggest" themselves to me. And they make great little parts if I convert them to piano or electric piano.
Also, look up "related minors" - they can add some interesting flavours to your main chord. So for example, if you're playing a G on guitar, you might find notes in or around B minor on the piano to complement what you're doing. It might change the tone of your song too much, which is why you need to experiment.

Chords have to have a link, or they ruin it far worse than playing the same ones. Often guitar chords - played on all 6 strings will feature one note letter name multiple times, and if that also happens on the piano - it's boring. What you can do is instead of playing all the notes, play some on guitar and others on piano. Also consider different chords. C major with three notes can be a bit boring, but C minor, C6 (which is what grimtraveller said above) but would be Am, or the two 7ths - the one with a Bb and the one with a B.
On the piano, the left hand often does the bass note - often the root (the C) but Elton John, for example, liked to use an E - which means it's still C Major, but sounds really different.

You have to learn a bit of music theory really, because some notes just don't work, while others do - but then you need to be able to convert this into any key. Sometimes, missing out notes from a chord works. If you play C and G, but no others - what chord is that? sort of a C or a G chord. The missing notes confuse it. Play the missing ones on the other instrument and it suddenly becomes obvious.

Back