Guitar Video Lesson

rotren

Hi there, I have now put up a first video lesson, covering pentatonic blues licks mostly. Difficulty level: Beginner.
I play a Squier '51 and Vox AD50VT - highly recommended by the way if you're on a budget.
Let me know what you think. What would you suggest to make it (and any new video lessons I make) better? Maybe there should be a small version available for those on slow connections.

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_lessons

Thanks
Robert

Last edited:
I wasn't in need of guitar lessons, but I thoroughly enjoyed your playing! Can't wait to hear what else you post on your site.

Hi there. Great tone and great playing. The only thing I would suggest would be maybe to try to structure things a bit more so a student would be able to digest some things.

For instance, you touched on (among other things): bends, double-stops, repetition in phrases, etc. Maybe you could streamline it down to just a few licks that demostrate each example and throroughly cover them, playing them up to speed and then slowing them down. It's not that you didn't do that sometimes, but most of the time it was just kind of jamming.

Maybe you could make the topics more distinct like: "Ok now let's look at double-stops. Here's a common double-stop lick." Then you could play a lick, slow it down, explain what you're doing, etc. Then maybe show another lick that uses double stops and do the same thing. Then move on to another topic (like repetition or whatever) and do the same thing.

Also, maybe do some licks that work especially well over certain chords of the blues, like the V chord maybe.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. I look forward to checking out some more.

first let me say, im impressed with the whole thing. IT is a great demonstration on how to get started playing blues riffs.

however, i dont see this being anywhere near a beginners lesson. i would put this more of a high intermediate lesson after someone learns chords and finger exercises, and some other basic stuff to build strenth and coordination. It may sound easy to most guitar players, but we all know that it takes alot of finger strenth and dexterity to pull those riffs off cleanly.

i would also change your camera angle so the camera is square to the neck of your guitar.

other than that. it a great lesson that lots of people will be able to take something from.

way to go

Thanks metalj - maybe I should label it "Intermediate" then. Or maybe "Beginner/Intermediate".
Beginner, Intermediate, etc mean different things to different people - it's subjective and so fart some people have called it "beginner stuff" while others call it "advanced"...
I haven't tried changing the angle, I'll try it and see how that looks.

First off... offering any type of free instruction is awesome-- especially when it involves bandwidth-intensive video ($$$)! So kudos to you on that.

However, in my honest opinion, it was just a video of some guy wanking off on pentatonic blues licks. I'm not sure how much value it would be to a beginner. It didn't seem very focused or organized. I'm not saying a little jam session isn't educational, but I think it would be better after a couple lessons on licks and scales. For instance, you could introduce the pentatonic blues scale (don't forget to mention what key you are playing in). Then, you could show a few licks from that scale (both real-time and half-speed as someone else suggested). Then, as kind of the final lesson for that "section," you could put those licks together in a jam like you did on this video. That way a beginner can learn the basics (scales, licks, phrasing... whatever), and then see the basics put together in the final form that we all enjoy.

Anyway, not trying to be overly critical. I very much enjoyed your playing and that's what kept my interest. I just think a little more organization and focus would transform this jam session into a really great guitar lesson.

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback Scottgman. I don't expect to be able to make perfect instruction videos without feedback from people like those in this thread. Honestly, I can't afford the time or bandwidth cost to have a "complete" set of guitar instruction videos, showing everything I've learned of the last 20 years. That's why I'm only offering short clips of certain aspects of my own playing, hoping they can be useful for someone out there.

/The guy wanking off

I liked your playing and as an "intermediate" player I could probably take something away from this lesson. But, for a beginner it's too much to expect one to take in. If I was a beginner I would wonder what a pull off and a bend are, etc. I agree with metalj, the camera angle needs to be straight on because one can't see what notes you are actually playing.

One complaint I have with most lessons, video or otherwise, is that they jump very quickly to the next level of playing (or theory, etc.) instead of gradually helping the learner along. As a teacher, and one time a product design major in college, I have learned that when you teach someone something (especially in written or video form) you need to give step by step instructions as if the person has no clue whatsoever about what you are talking about. Think about how you would write down instructions for someone to use a toaster who never saw one; if you said put the bread in the toaster they might end up trying to stuff the whole loaf in it while still in the bag...well you get the idea...and as usual I'm getting carried away.

Anyways, it is a useful instruction, and hey it's your first time and you can improve upon it.

Although I'm not at all new to pentatonic blues licks, I really enjoyed your lesson. Its always a great thing to be able to watch an experienced player play up close. Even though i'm used to those licks, watching you play them gave me some new ideas.

your doing a great thing - good luck!

Back