Guitar Tracks to Guitar studio 2

Snowdog

I'm considering upgrading from GTR TR2 to studio 2 but know next to nothing about the program. I was hoping some Guitar studio 2 users out there could lend some insight into the advantages of studio over tracks 2 and any glitches encountered ? Also, How does session drummer compare to Drop and Drag "Dry Studio Kit? Many thanks:D

G-Tracks to G-Studio 2

I've used Guitar Studio 2 for a couple years now.

But FYI, Guitar Studio 2 is currently $169, Because of Sonar's debut, Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 is only a few dollars more (Musiciansfriend.com) and now includes all the Guitar Studio tools for guitar. If you can, go for the Pro Audio 9. It allows many more audio tracks.

Mainly, you're adding more audio tracks and MIDI capability. And lots of other bells and whistles.

GS2 and ProAudio9 let you enter MIDI notes via a guitar fretboard image on the screen. Handy.

Session Drummer is MIDI-based v. Drag and Drop Drummer which is based on audio loops. (correct me if I'm wrong on this)

In any case, don't count on great support for either products from Cakewalk now that Sonar is the flag ship. But the prices are great the programs are quite stable.

A little clarification on Drag & Drop Drummer. It has audio loops but also MIDI equivalents as well and a Sound Font set of the same drumkit the audio loops were recorded with. So you have a choice. Also, the interface is far more intuitive than the Session Drummer.

Wow!! I waited a week to revisit this thread thinking there would be a ton of opinions. Only one Guitar Studio user? The reason I'm considering GS2 is that I can get the upgrade for only $79.00 and I thought it was aimed at Axe players. I also thought it was a commonly used software program but if this few people use it maybe I should reconsider.

G-Tracks to G-Studio 2

GS2 is aimed at axers. But really it's more of what all companies do to increase market share and profit. They segment the market by offering something for everyone and then luring us into upgrades. The problem we see at the low-end priced stuff is weak support. GS2 is basically Pro Audio 9 "lite."

My guess about the scarcity of users is simply that the product was not segmented enough. That is, it was too close in street price to Pro Audio.

That said, I've been extrememely happy with it. The fretboard interface has been ultra handy. The program is incredibly robust for any price and it has been very stable. Well worth the $79 upgrade in my book.

Again, the main advantage is it's MIDI capabilities. If you're strictly audio multitracking, there's probably better stuff out there for the money.

I went ahead and took the plunge by ordering GS2. I'm also just dipping my toes into the Midi realm so I've got to ask, Is the "Cakewalk Power" book a must seeing that GS2 comes without a manual? Also, does drop and drag drummer work with GS2?

Back