guitar tones

Br3n

so been playing around recently with guitar tones / mic positions / mic technequies i am aiming for a sort of nirvana nevermind sort of tone to my guitars at the mo.

i record in a hybrid studio analog desk feeding digital converters. i get a great tone through the amp and desk but when i play back in a mix the guitar loses some of the edge it has when being soloed. whats the best way to keep that edge through different micing or eq? i want to do this at the recording stage so mixing is easier.

Yeah soloed tones and in a mix can be very different. Your issue is one I haven't come across. Usually my issue is that I get great sounding guitars soloed, but sound super muddy in a mix. So I think it out so it sounds great in a mix, but thin soloed.

Not sure how to help you, maybe a link?

Don't judge it when it's soloed. That's fine when checking for glitches and doing edits....but listen to it in the mix and then EQ/process as needed. The mid-highs are the key if you need some edge....also, it could be the other tracks that are getting in the way, so check them too for level, panning and EQ.

And don't forget, when recording electric guitar, less distortion is MORE (no one has explained, but less distortion/gain always sounds better and more like what you want than what you hear from your amp.)

ok. i get a lot of depth from the guitar and i like that. i tend to boost a little around the 2k mark to add a little edge again should i rather cut some low mid and low to get the edge back then? i will post a link once i have it on my laptop its all in the studio at the moment.

is it possible that the snare might be taking from guitars. as i prefer to have great sounding drum tracks and compromise some guitar tone in the mids

Back