guitar string buzz

bufaloeletric

im new to this kind of thing and am wondering how i can remove an accoustic guitar string buzz from my recording. cant seem to find the frequency it exists on to try and cut it out. i know the best solution is to fix the guitar itself, but id like to know how to take advantage of the equalizer instead and learn something from that.

no.
this has more to do with playing technique, than recording technique.

any freq you try to zap to get rid of string squeak, is gonna nuke your tone as well.

^
agreed, But if it's just one or two that would mess up an otherwise great take, look into Izotope Rx. It lets "see" the whole audio spectrum, isolate the squeak then you can just paint it out.
I've done this a lot with car horns and such in tv stand ups. On the other hand the OP said string buzz. If thats the case, take the guitar to a luthier and have it set up.

It's not going to work with EQ - I've tried that. You could try comping with a less annoying part or just volume automate.

thanks for the help guys, i came up with another solution while waiting for responses and that was to play the chord in another position, buzz eliminated. will i run into the same problems with the sound of my fingers sliding up and down the strings.

fret buzz is not impossible to remove and you can most likely at least soften it.

First put a high resolution spectrum analyzer on that channel if you cannot determine where the frequency is by ear.
Then use a deesser on the (Split mode works best for me) channel and remove it best you can with out affecting the source

If the buzz is softer then the notes you are playing then you maybe able to use an expander to soften the buzzes.
Do not use a gate

fret buzz is not impossible to remove and you can most likely at least soften it.

First put a high resolution spectrum analyzer on that channel if you cannot determine where the frequency is by ear.
Then use a deesser on the (Split mode works best for me) channel and remove it best you can with out affecting the source

If the buzz is softer then the notes you are playing then you maybe able to use an expander to soften the buzzes.
Do not use a gate

This aint gonna help just rerecord without the buzz.

thanks for the help guys, i came up with another solution while waiting for responses and that was to play the chord in another position, buzz eliminated. will i run into the same problems with the sound of my fingers sliding up and down the strings.

Here is a left field idea that has saved a take for me in the past, use a de-esser and set the frequency for the frequency of the string slide. Every time the frequency jumps out the de-esser nails it for a split second.

Alan.

Back