Guitar sound need help!

LTG

I have been working with my friends band trying to record his guitar sound but I can't capture it. I'm a beginner, so please help. He is looking for a Blink 182/ New Found Glory/ Green Day type of sound. I'm recording the guitar with a shure sm57 through a mixing board and into computer. Please listen and tell me what to do? Listen at:

I had a listen to that clip and i don't think that sounded a bad guitar tone. I would be quite pleased with that. When you get drums and stuff with it it will sound much better aswell. Possibly you could do with some more bass depends how they like their sound. Let them set up their amp and then your job is to capture that sound to tape, or in this case hard drive.

Don't ask me about where to mic and stuff cause I aint experienced at that , I do all my guitar recording (until i get my amp) direct through a Boss VF-1 which sounds cool, it also means i can record at 4am which is nice.

DO DO DO experiment trying different placements. I heard some popping or something aswell in the recording. Could it be that the input on your soundcard is clipping, that tends to make nasty poppy sounds.

Ok good luck with your recording and stuff.
You might get more reply if you post this in the guitars and basses section, this tends to have whole songs on it.

Ta
Nick

First place to start: add bass, drums, and vocals :). It's the context that will tell how the guitar sounds, it's hard to guage by the naked track. Doubling the track with some L/R panning (gotta play fairly consistent) almost always adds some dimension and thickening.

I agree with PG...

Hey, my guit tracks sound like shit all by themselves, but with the rest of the music to swirl around it, feeding it, feeding off of it, making love to it... You will definitely hear much of what you want to hear after you add the drums and bass at least.

Your tone sounds good and crunchie... so a bass track would slide into the low freqs nicely beside it probably.

As PG said, you can get a better result doubling and then panning (but don't just dupe the track - you gotta play it again or you won't hear any stereo effect... and if you just dupe and delay one of the tracks, you'll get flang... totally different....)

So when both your guit tracks are panned, slide the bass track down the center channel like a hot dog.

Good luck.

Back