Guitar Software?

Howdy!

I'm an old guy trying to learn about new guitar technology and I hear there's some kinda software that simulates an amp and all you need to do is plug your fiddle into your computer. I take lessons online and want to use it to make videos I'll send to my teacher it sounds like a easy setup as opposed to dragging out my amp and everything that goes with that. I'm not tech savvy so point me at the user friendly stuff first please.

Yes.

Line 6 makes a Pod Farm or GearBox Tone port usb interface. Line 6 has excellent modeling. Intuitive controls. Complementary FX. A Graphic user interface keeps ideas clean and flowing. Check it out for sure.

Ua and brainworx have software that is used in a DAW to play guitar. They still require and interface. Most VST's have free trials, so try before you buy.

Last edited:
Yes.

Line 6 makes a Pod Farm or GearBox Tone port usb interface. Line 6 has excellent modeling. Intuitive controls. Complementary FX. A Graphic user interface keeps ideas clean and flowing. Check it out for sure.

Ua and brainworx have software that is used in a DAW to play guitar. They still require and interface. Most VST's have free trials, so try before you buy.
I have a Boss Katana I can use that way. But I was thinking more of something where I plug into my little Yamaha mixer and all the simulation is inside my computer. Is there something like that or have I misunderstood something?

I have a Boss Katana I can use that way. But I was thinking more of something where I plug into my little Yamaha mixer and all the simulation is inside my computer. Is there something like that or have I misunderstood something?
Does your Yamaha mixer have a USB out? If so, then you can plug that in, but I think the "hang-up" might be about when you say "videos," because if you're recording video with your computer's webcam, that adds a wrinkle. Please describe in a little more detail what you are trying to do.

Just to be clear:
First you need a way to get your sound into the computer (and back out again). An audio interface is the best way to do this, but a mixer with USB could also be used. Using the built-in soundcard in your computer is probably not going to work as its input does not have a strong enough preamp for your guitar, although you could try the output from a non-USB mixer directly into the computer.

What I'm trying to figure out is...

Is there some kind of computer software that simulates guitar amps and effects? I want to just plug my Strat into my Yamaha AG06 (interface) which USB connects to my laptop and dial in sounds in the software. I already know how to go through my amp to the AG06 then to laptop. I'm hoping for something easier to set up because I don't have a place I can leave everything set up and connected all the time. I'm a trucker and while on the road everything gets packed up and stored in a closet.

This has a free trial download use it with that AG06. This software is a Mesa Dual Recto, sounds great and I got on sale for $9 couple weeks back. I like Brainworx cause of their work with UA. Very high quality. Most effects are separate.

Line6 has them FX included.

There are free ones too in mjb's link.

Last edited:
What I'm trying to figure out is...

Is there some kind of computer software that simulates guitar amps and effects? I want to just plug my Strat into my Yamaha AG06 (interface) which USB connects to my laptop and dial in sounds in the software. I already know how to go through my amp to the AG06 then to laptop. I'm hoping for something easier to set up because I don't have a place I can leave everything set up and connected all the time. I'm a trucker and while on the road everything gets packed up and stored in a closet.
Well, yes, there's software that does that, so long as all you want to do is listen to yourself play or record audio. Now, there's always something that has to be between the guitar pickups, which are analog, and relatively high impedance, and the computer. Sometimes that's a fixed audio interface, or a USB-capable mixer, or even a modeling amp like your Katana. There are also tools like iRig, which will do the analog to digital conversion of a guitar.

For software, Amplitube is the one I used to use, and you can even install it on your phone (or could, back when I used it) and with something like an iRig, listen to yourself on the phone or record there. I'm sure there are lots of options in this area, but it depends if you need a standalone app or a "plug-in" for recording.

What I do not know is whether the "plugin" version of this software can work with live/video recording - I have not tested, or had a need to test, that in some years.

Here's a link to a video I made using my Katana into the AG06 and then to my laptop. This is also the webcam on the lap top. This is the sort of thing I want to do.

Click here.
I'm guessing that when you recorded that you specified the input/output device as the AG06? I.e., your video recording was taking the input that came from the mixer, vs. the computer's built-in mic, or whatever else might have been plugged in.

The problem is that once you go from the guitar into the computer, and then an app, the app is no longer seen as an input device. I know you can use OBS or other s/w to integrate and sync, but whoo - a pain, IMO/IME, and I'd guess not what you are looking for. Plus, there's usually some latency with software processing, though amp/pedal sims are not notoriously bad. Time stuff (delays and reverbs) can be a problem though. Even if you get the routing figured out, the audio no longer syncs up with the video.

If you want to do this all the time, I'd look for something that is really designed to send a full amp sim + FX/pedal sim over USB, i.e., a piece of hardware. Not cheap, but the technology changes all the time, so used pieces probably half the price of new, even in these times. Something like a POD HD 500 maybe. The key is the USB jack has to work as an audio interface, not just a MIDI device. Then you skip over the need to use the mixer. Plus, you can practice with just the board, and not need a computer. (I used one for several years back when I was in a praise team. Long ago, far away it seems ...)

I'm guessing that when you recorded that you specified the input/output device as the AG06? I.e., your video recording was taking the input that came from the mixer, vs. the computer's built-in mic, or whatever else might have been plugged in.

The problem is that once you go from the guitar into the computer, and then an app, the app is no longer seen as an input device. I know you can use OBS or other s/w to integrate and sync, but whoo - a pain, IMO/IME, and I'd guess not what you are looking for. Plus, there's usually some latency with software processing, though amp/pedal sims are not notoriously bad. Time stuff (delays and reverbs) can be a problem though. Even if you get the routing figured out, the audio no longer syncs up with the video.

If you want to do this all the time, I'd look for something that is really designed to send a full amp sim + FX/pedal sim over USB, i.e., a piece of hardware. Not cheap, but the technology changes all the time, so used pieces probably half the price of new, even in these times. Something like a POD HD 500 maybe. The key is the USB jack has to work as an audio interface, not just a MIDI device. Then you skip over the need to use the mixer. Plus, you can practice with just the board, and not need a computer. (I used one for several years back when I was in a praise team. Long ago, far away it seems ...)
Yes, That was through the AG06. My Katana has a USB out and can work as an Interface though.

Back