Guitar Scale Length

wishtheend

Quick question. Would moving from a 34" scale bass to a 35" scale allow for lower tunning with tighter string action? I currently own a 34" scale 4-string bass and I'm wanting to go to a 5-string tunning withouth the high string (B-E-A-D). I've looked at alot of 5 strings and any Baritone basses and they are all coming up 35" scale (with the exception of a few). Am I to assume the scale length is what effects how low you can tune the instrument? Of course I'd be putting a heavier guage string.

I've had someone tell me that I won't get better string tension and I'd be better off getting a 34" scale 5-string. That seems really odd to me, but I might just not understand what factor makes it so you can tune low. Thanks for input.

Yes, longer scale, more tension. I'm not sure how noticable it is on bass, but between my strat and SG. when tuned to the same pitch, the SG feels like the strat tuned down about a 1/2 step. A string vibrates faster with more tension and slower with longer length, so as you increase length, you have to increase tension to make up for it.

So, does scale length not really play a role in the difference in tunning? Here's why I'm asking. I've seen most 5-strings that are 35" and most 4-strings are 34", not to mention I've seen basses advertised as baritone strung B-E-A-D in 35". For some reason I was thinking that scale length is what allows the bass to add that extra string, the low B.

But now I'm not so sure. Now I've come across 5-strings in 34". I know heavier gauge strings will allow for lower notes, but does scale length really have any effect other than where the frets are layed? Sorry if this is really a stupid question, i just think I'm overanalyzing.

If there really isn't a difference in scale length, would there be any forseen problem getting my current 34" 4-string setup as B-E-A-D (file the nut, full setup with heavier gauge strings: 130-110-90-70) ? Are there any other steps I should take?

Thanks for the help.

Well, the extra string is much thicker to allow it to be tuned down to B without being flabby. That is the main difference. The extra inch in scale length will also tighten up the string a little more, but it is mostly the thicker string that lets you tune down. On guitar, an extra 3/4" on my strat lets me tune down a half step and keep the about same tension as standard tuning on the shorter SG neck.

Thanks. I figured string was the most important factor and the scale length to a lesser extent. But since the goal is more tension, I think I figured it out. Thanks again for the help.

Back