Guitar Rig Latency

Miseria_Cantare

I'm attempting to run guitar rig 4, But I get some badass latency issues.

Spec-
Acer Aspire Win7 64 bit
3.2GHZ Quad i5
E-MU 1616M PCIE

When I play guitar just through the dock there is no latency, I can add effects through Patchmix DSP, with still no latency.
But if I try to run guitar rig, or add it as an effect in Sonar, there's mega latency.
It allows me to open up the ASIO panel, in which I can lower the "ASIO buffer latency" down from 50ms (default) to 2ms (is 2ms acceptable anyway? This hardware claims zero latency on the box)
But with that set to 2ms, I get popping and clicking noises whilst I play.

Any help appreciated, I have much to learn in regard to audio hardware/software basic setup.

When manufacturers claim zero latency, it's usually because they give you the option of direct monitoring. In your case, this would be the dry guitar.

You'll never get zero latency going through a daw AKAIF.

You have a hefty computer though, so it shouldn't be panicking too much about 2ms.

What else have you got running on your computer?

Disable whatever you can, Virus scanners, Internet connections, other programs etc

2ms is a hell of a target all the same. You could back off a little and settle for 10 or something? I don't imagine the difference would be too off-putting.

Thanks. I got this PC set up as a dedicated audio computer, so I uninstalled all the virus scanners and lame built in software before I started, there should be minimum background processes.
Funny thing is that when I first set the 'buffer latency' to 2ms, there seemed to be no issue, this noise interference happened after about 10 minutes of playing.. :/
Why would it be set to 50ms by default anyhow?
And if I were using guitar rig in sonar as a live effect, would that 2ms of latency effect just what I'm monitoring or would it be on the recording also?

I guess 50ms is the default because it's the least performance intensive setting.

I'm not 100% sure about your latency question.
I think that the recording should be in time, but the effect processing is causing latency on playback.
Your safest bet would be to try it out on an obvious latency setting and just see what happens.

The popping and clicking is because your latency is set too low. Increase the buffer size in your ASIO control panel a bit and see if you still get any clicking and popping. 2 milliseconds is insanely good latency (if that makes any sense?). With my interface I settle for 8ms in and 8ms out.

Try setting your buffer size at 128 samples. That should eliminate any popping/clicking without noticeable latency.

I've set it to 3ms now with no noticeable noise issues, I was just under the impression that there should be no latency at all with this kind of hardware. :/

The popping and clicking is because your latency is set too low. Increase the buffer size in your ASIO control panel a bit and see if you still get any clicking and popping. 2 milliseconds is insanely good latency (if that makes any sense?). With my interface I settle for 8ms in and 8ms out.

Try setting your buffer size at 128 samples. That should eliminate any popping/clicking without noticeable latency.

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^
Give yourself a little more and let your computer breathe. every millisecond is the equivalent of the sound moving 1 foot, or it's as if you're sitting 1 foot from your speaker. I once heard that most people can't perceive anything lower than a 13 (This could be total BS though, I have no proof to back it up).

i had the same probs and just gave up . couldnt get it to work at all ! waste of money for me , unless i sort it out!

I've set it to 3ms now with no noticeable noise issues, I was just under the impression that there should be no latency at all with this kind of hardware. :/

Medical studies claim MOST people can't detect less than 20-30ms.
(Yes musicians can be more sensitive)

Sound travels at 1ft/ms.
If you move from 10ft from a speaker to 2ft there is NO way you'll tell the difference.

Cranking latency below what you can perceive only stresses your cpu.
5-20ms should be fine. (I keep mine around 15ms.)

Back