Guitar Rig, EZmix, iZotope's... WHAT?!??!?

scdaymon

Hi there again friends!!!

Well… I have a question (once again…), and it may be really dumb, but here it goes.

I’m reading a lot about software like Guitar Rig, EZmix, iZotope's, but… I’m not really understanding how those software work.
I mean, I can understand applying effects on the vocals, on the drums, on the keyboards etc… but, are those software necessary for people, like me, who have a multi-effect processor pedal (my is a simple Digitech RP155)?
Why should people use Guitar Rig if they have a multi-effect processor pedal?
I’m keeping the feeling that I’m missing something!
I just plug the guitar to the pedal effects, and then the pedal to the audio interface.
Choose the preset (so the effects) I want in the Digitech (I may work them a little) and them just record it in the DAW. I record it with the sound (so, the effects) that came from the pedal.
What useful would be something like Guitar Rig?

And another question: do people that use Guitar Rig record in bypass mode?!
And if they record in bypass mode, doesn’t the song feel weird… naked?!?

Can someone please explain. :confused:

Thanks

I think you're misunderstanding what Guitar Rig is. It is a collection of software emulations of guitar amplifiers and effects that can be applied to recorded or live guitar. Guitar Rig doesn't record anything itself, you generally use it as a VST effect in a DAW (digital recording workstation) like Cubase or Reaper.

It will also run as a standalone application, so you can jam or for live show use.

If you already have all the effects and amplifiers you need, you don't need Guitar Rig. However, it is extremely versatile.

I think you're misunderstanding what Guitar Rig is. It is a collection of software emulations of guitar amplifiers and effects that can be applied to recorded or live guitar. Guitar Rig doesn't record anything itself, you generally use it as a VST effect in a DAW (digital recording workstation) like Cubase or Reaper.

It will also run as a standalone application, so you can jam or for live show use.

If you already have all the effects and amplifiers you need, you don't need Guitar Rig. However, it is extremely versatile.

Thanks for your answer.

Well, I already knew that Guitar Rig was a collection of amplifiers and effects, and I knew that it worked as a plugin in a DAW.
But what I don’t understand is how people work with it. Do they record without any effects (in bypass mode / clean guitar) and then apply the chosen effect (from Guitar Rig) to the clean guitar???

Thanks again

Thanks for your answer.

Well, I already knew that Guitar Rig was a collection of amplifiers and effects, and I knew that it worked as a plugin in a DAW.
But what I don’t understand is how people work with it. Do they record without any effects (in bypass mode / clean guitar) and then apply the chosen effect (from Guitar Rig) to the clean guitar???

Thanks again

Okies. I record a clean dry signal from my electric guitar through my audio interface into my DAW. I am recording the clean signal BUT I am hearing it processed by Guitar Rig in real time as I play. If, when I play back the recording, I dont like the virtual amp or virtual pedal fx, I can now change them.

So, I can record hearing a "marshall" and then change it to a "mesa" all because my recorded signal from the guitar is dry.

Software gives you very good amp sims and fx but the possibility of latency. A good FX pedal gives you decent sounds and no latency but you are committed to the tone you dial in before hitting record.

Whatever suits your working method. Many people believe more choice equals less productivity.

Do they record without any effects (in bypass mode / clean guitar) and then apply the chosen effect (from Guitar Rig) to the clean guitar???

That would be a pretty common way to do it

Something like Guitar Rig is a good option if you cannot record an amp because you don't have a good one, or you can't because of noise concerns and so on

If you have an amp, have the pedals, know how to get the tone you want and can record it acceptably then you may never need something like Guitar Rig. It does give you more options though. That can be as much of a curse as a blessing since you can end up tweaking for hours/days with a DI'd guitar on every possible amp/cab/pedal/mic position rather than just getting on with the music based on the sound you recorded.
I do see people say that an advantage is that you don't have to commit to a sound at the time you record it but can mess with it afterwords. I personally disagree with this since IMO if you don't know what you want your music to sound like yet maybe you're not ready to record and should be working with scratch tracks and rehearsal more, but that's just my opinion

Personally, now that I have more amps that I like and more practice in recording them I have moved away from amp/cab/pedal simulations completely but that's just one way of working that works for me

As always YMMV

I record a clean dry signal from my electric guitar through my audio interface into my DAW. I am recording the clean signal BUT I am hearing it processed by Guitar Rig in real time as I play. If, when I play back the recording, I dont like the virtual amp or virtual pedal fx, I can now change them.
(…) Many people believe more choice equals less productivity
Do they record without any effects (in bypass mode / clean guitar) and then apply the chosen effect (from Guitar Rig) to the clean guitar???
That would be a pretty common way to do it
Something like Guitar Rig is a good option if you cannot record an amp because you don't have a good one, or you can't because of noise concerns and so on.
(…)
I do see people say that an advantage is that you don't have to commit to a sound at the time you record it but can mess with it afterwords. (…) if you don't know what you want your music to sound like yet maybe you're not ready to record and should be working with scratch tracks and rehearsal more

It’s really amazing the infinite possibilities that computer software brings to music production. And I agreed that it can be a bless and a curse at the same time.

However… I totally understood now!!!

Thanks friends. (I really must say... this forum is just amazing!!! I’m learning so much with you all.)

:thumbs up:

Furthermore you can split the signal output from your guitar and at the same time record both your pedal/amp and the direct signal :thumbs up:

Furthermore you can split the signal output from your guitar and at the same time record both your pedal/amp and the direct signal :thumbs up:

That was a very important addition to this thread! Seems we often forget to mention that which is obvious.

I always have a backup plan (direct line) when recording guitars or bass. It has saved the day more times than I can remember....

Remember - most pedals sound really bad unless they're run into an amp.
Those that are built with amp & cab sims don't sound too bad but something like a Big Muff or Tube Screamer into the interface will be fizzy & blekkkkk!
Guitar rig is pretty good for what it is. You can get free limited versions of it with things like USB guitar connectors etc.

I'd bet actual money that Guitar Rig sounds much better and is more versatile than your Digitech unit.

As others have mentioned, you can monitor through Guitar Rig so you hear the processed signal while tracking. You're tracking raw direct signal, but you hear the "amp" sound. It's not difficult to work with and in the right hands no one will know that it's not a real amp. The one drawback to GR is that it can eat up computer power if you leave it running on multiple tracks.

Plug your guitar directly into your interface/soundcard, arm a track to record, insert Guitar Rig as an effect, dial down your latency to it's lowest possible setting, dial in a tone that you like, press record, rock the fuck out.

I used to go direct from a Digitech multi-effect way back in the day before amp sims were available and before I owned any decent mics, and it's a pretty flat, sucky sound most of the time. OK for clean, maybe, not good for distortion. These things are made for live work via an amp generally, despite all the "cabinet emulation" settings they have...

Mic and amp or use Guitar Rig or similar - you'll get a better result.

I'm a bit each way on the "too many options" thing. I always mic these days, so I'm committed - means I take a bit of care to try to get it right at the source and have an idea in my head as to what it should be like. And I can usually find ways to work with things that don't turn out exactly as I imagine, or, if you know your piece, re-recording a take or two should be no big deal.

I think "too many options" is only a bad thing if you're the type that doesn't know what they want to begin with. I mean really...since when is having options a bad thing? I'm not against experimentation, but if simply having options puts your head in a tailspin, then you're not ready for this stuff.

For example, in Guitar Rig, there's like 5 different Marshall models. If you want a "classic rock" guitar sound, pick one of the Marshalls. Pick a "vintage" style 4x12 to go with it and get to work. It's not rocket science. Don't try to play Pantera through a Jazz Chorus sim. Don't try to play clean jazz through a Mesa. Use common sense and sims that work well together. A little rudimentary knowledge of actual amps goes a long way with sims.

Well... I know my Digitech haves lame sounds, and I just can't seem to get the sound I want from it. You know... I have the God damn sound in my head... but I can't find it!!! From what you people said, Guitar Rir seems like a very cool thing. First of all, I like having a lot of options, since I record and compose in a lot of different styles (...maybe still trying to discover my own style), and I guess that a real amp, is much more expensive and I'm sure I should really be an expert on what to buy... and then I would become commited to what I bought. I really want to try Guitar Rig. It seems a very cool thing track with clean sound, and then seek the sound you want. Maybe around Christmas I can get it (God Damn... why should this softwares be so expensive)... or maybe my wife could give it to me (instead of going on vacations)!!! :D

I didn't say the sounds were lame, I said the device wasn't designed as a recording interface. They're good at what they are - a live multi-effect unit...

Back