guitar queston

Jammer429

I don't fully understand if I am tracking wrong or if it is in the mixing part but anyhow..when I lay a guitar tracks it sounds to small not warm enough the guitar sounds good coming from the amp..I am micing it with a sm57 I have tried several mic placements...I have tried to add more lows and mids to try and warm it up..but it always ends up sounding muddy...any advice?:confused:

try not letting anything below 220khz through on guitar and letting the bass guitar do its job for the low end. Also could be a number of other things....string gages, pickups, type of mic. try cutting the highs. kill the mids

after thinking about it some more, it probably sounds small and muddy because you have too much low end coming through and are causing an early clip. Turn down the low end and you have more room to increase the volume. For me guitars should be crisp and cutting, the warmth should MOSTLY come from the bass guitar.

A little info about your signal chain and the tone you're looking for you're trying to get would be helpful.

try not letting anything below 220khz through on guitar and letting the bass guitar do its job for the low end. Also could be a number of other things....string gages, pickups, type of mic. try cutting the highs. kill the mids

220kHz... I think you meant 220Hz which is a bit hi IMO.

post something so we have an idea what you're talking about.

this is the million dollar question... it boils down to tone from the amp and mic positioning.

can you reamp? if so, use this to practice dialing the amp and mic positioning. now you can concentrate solely on getting the tone.

i know this may sound stupid

i know this may sound stupid b/c sm57's are the industry standard, but i could never get a thick guitar track with one. I finally went out on a limb and bought an AKG D5. It sounds awesome. I know this prob doesn't help you, but ...... we need an audio sample to critique. Cheers.

The 57 isn't the Holy Grail, it's the Holy Nail because it holds a lot of stuff together for a lot of people - though I'm not one of them.
Post a clip - then the Axe Docs can apply knowledge to the situation rather than guess work.

Back