Guitar Preamp

Er, could you be more specific? Kind of guitar, expected use (live or recording), budget, etc.?

Don't know the price, but I can recommend Mesa Boogie as the premier guitar product, having used several different models over the years.

Their newest pre-amp is called the Formula, and you can read all about it at: www.harmony-central.com/Newp/1998/Formula.html

Mesa Boogie are located in Petaluma, Ca. and I'm sure they probably have a toll-free number, or go to www.Google.com and type in Mesa Boogie for lots of places to visit.

foo

I have used a Roland GP100 for several years now and I think it is the best preamp for going direct. It has the best amp simulator that I have ever heard. It has a nice live amp feel to it. I believe it's price has dropped around to $750. With patience, you can get just about any sound you want with it... and them some.

Try and have a listen to the Sansamp PSA 1.
I use this with my Epiphone Les Paul and I've had nothing but excellent results.
It simulates all sorts of rack set ups and vintage pedals and it is MIDI controllable too. It's a 1U rack mount design that you could use in a live set up as well as the studio. It sounds great with ADT.

If you're looking for recording preamp for guitar, I have found that I wasted my time exploring much beyond a Lexicon Signature 284. Although it only prodices pretty much one sound, the sound is stunningly pheononminal! To get around this, you'll also need a really nice guitar FX rack box with a foot-controller (which is another $1000-$2000), but it's alright because while you're saving up for that, you'll still be so stunned and in love with the tone and showing it off to you're friends. It runs about around $1000 and I know AMS is now selling it for $700. You can also by the 2x10 cabniet custom made by Mojo for Lexicon for around $500 which I recommend although the preamp does have a loaded simulator in it.

Back