Guitar only records in low frequencies...Please help!

LTG

Ok, well I own a Behringer board which runs into an SBLive sound card. I play samples back in winamp to see what the spectrum analyzer in winamp shows. On my drums tracks they are able to span the entire length of frequencies, which is what is supposed to happen. The problem is when I record guitar that the guitar sounds week and when I look at the spectrum analyzer it shows that it is only showing up in the lower part of the spectrum. A friend of mine who does a lot of recording suggested at first that I might want to get a graphic equalizer to bring up the higher ends, but I fear this may bring up something which is not there. This will create noise. Another idea was that it could be the pickups in my stratocaster guitar? Or is it that I have a crappy sound card? Please help!

Well, you just had me examine the Winamp spectrum analyzer while playing a couple of recordings I made involving both acoustic and electric guitars with clean and dirty signals. The guitar tracks registered only in the lower 60-70% of the displayed audible spectrum, and these are recordings which I consider good. So, this may be nothing to lose sleep over. Keep in mind that if you're playing mp3's, the compression routine may de-emphasize the upper end of the band automatically.

All versions of Winamp that I've seen have a built-in graphic EQ. Just hit the ON button and see what happens, if you're curious about its effect.

I hope everyone on the forum has a great Christmas.

mine is in the very bottom. And the guitar sound is very weak. I use and sm57 to record my guitar amp and I don't understand why it doesn't sound any better? I'm using wav's only

Post a sample in the mp3 mixing clinic, easier to give some analysis listening (even in lossy mp3 format) to it rather than speculation.

LTG-

How are you micing the amp? Is it a clean sound or a distorted sound?

You've got the basic path right- guitar-amp-sm57-board-sound card. Are you getting a hot enough level into the soundcard?

By the way, the WinAmp display is just a light show. It is NOT accurate. Especially if you send it different audio formats. I think it's calibrated for mp3's.

I'm micing my amp with distortion. I understand about winamp now. I tried converting my wav guitar sound into an mp3 and then it showed it in higher spectrum just as my other CD's are. You are right it isn't accurate. But the guitar sound is still weak?

So what's missing in the guitar sound? I'm guessing that the low end isn't there. Does it sound too far away? You'll have to get into a little more detail so we can figure out what the problem might be.

Mic position is crucial in getting the sound you want. There isn't one perfect spot, but you have to realize that small chages in it's position can greatly affect the sound (assuming that you're close micing). I usually start with the mic about 6 inches away and slightly off axis. What kind of amp are you using? Even if you're using a 4x12 cabinet, you still should just mic one speaker. Pick one speaker (if you have more than one) and place the mic about 6 inches away from the center of the cone. Then angle it slightly off to the side so that it's pointing towards the edge of the cone. Anywhere from the midpoint between the center and the edge, to the edge of the speaker should be okay. Just don't have it pointing straight into the speaker (especially if it's cranked). Mess around with this positioning and let us know how it goes!

Saxman72

Back