Guitar multi-effect

UnityRecordings

So here's my situation:
My collection of amps is quite slacking and poor so I want to just direct input guitar/bass and just go. The problem now is that I'm kinda stuck on what to use. I've has a line6 toneport ux1 and onboard effects=suck. The one thing I have tried though is guitar rig 3 and I think it sounds AMAZING. Also, a friend of mine has a podxt live and i really wonder if that would be better due to the controls at your feet (yes I know GR3 has a foot pedal too)

That's a lot at once but if you catch my drift, help me out!

Check out the Roctron Prophesy, as far as all in one multi-fx units go this one gets my vote. I've owned PODxt, Digitech GNX and Boss GT-Pro but none come close to the tone and feel of the Rocktron Prophey II. It's a 2u rack unit but it takes expression pedals and midi switch boards. BTW, you can buy a used Prophesy I on E-Bay and then download the artist presets for the Prophesy II from the Rocktron website - save yourself a shitload of cash.

And try the behringer v-amp2 (yes I did say behringer!!) Great sounds.. and cheap as chips!

Also something to beaer in min with the decision. Do you want the processing and latency required for a plugin over an external unit. E.g. you want to play with grig3 running, you will have a toss up between latency and grig crashing.. It's great for adding later but to play along with it is processor intensive

Hi

I expect there'll be those who won't agree, but I bought a G9TT, by Zoom. Unlike earlier low-end, budget multi-FX pedals by Zoom, the G9 and it's smaller twin the G7TT are a real breakthough. OK it's a bit more expensive than the V-amp 2, but have you tried using the Vamp live with your feet?

All Jesting aside, if you don't mind taking a little time out at the beginning to learn to use the damn thing, it turns out to be an excellent tool. I've gigged with it and used it for numerous recording ventures.

The TT, bit means twin tube, because it has small valves at both pre amp and output stages. It high spec bandwidth and sample rate, mean it's quality. There is a comprehensive amp modelling section and everything, except the rotary controls on the tubes is patch programmable. It's rugged, retro and solid.

If you opt for the G9, it has two pedals, one of which operates on a lateral axis as well as up and down. Each of these is assignable in multi ways.

Hint - read the manual, it's not massive, but it'll help you to identify your target controls

I personally am a big fan of Digitech gear, sounds great and very affordable.

Second that. Had an RP-7 for 10 years, never let me down. Many of the factory settings are rather jeuvenile, but all parameters are changable.

I've spent thousands on multi-effects. My favs are the Vox Tonelab and some of the Pod stuff from my Gold bundle. The Vox beats the pants off of Line6 for its "just breaking up" almost distorted tones, but some of the heavier models on the Line6 beat out the Vox. I suspect I would like the Zoom tt-9 though, with it's power-amp tube, which is what the Vox has, and it makes a huge difference. How much do you want to spend??

Peace!

~Shawn

I second the Zoom comments ... I have a Zoom G7.1ut .. it rocks. Best $350 investment
I prefer going analog to a mixer before my soundcard, even though the G7 & G9 have USB interface.
I'm getting dream tones I could never get consitently with a Fender, Marshall or Peavey amp. Each are great for specific sound, but not for spectrum.
And the G7 does these, VOX AC30, Roland Jazz Chorus amazingly.
Works well with both my guitars, Epiphone Les Paul Custom and Ibanez Blazer Custom (strat). Each guitar has distinctive tone, and the G7 does what it needs to do to produce amp models and effects.
G7 ... rhymes with Heaven

Back