guitar mic'ing question

jimminy

I'm always trying to get the most gigantic guitar sound I can, so to that end I'm wondering:

If I take like 3 mics, stick them in front of my cab, run them to my little mono mixer then into the board and to a single track, will I get a bigger sound from it than with just one mic? would it be better using different mics or all the same?

I was thinking I could try placing them at varying distances from the cab, but thought I might end up with phasing problems.

I was also thinking I could try doing this on a stereo track, panning the mics to different places leaving them all about the same distance from the cab.

Anyone around here ever try this? I'm gonna try it next chance I get, but does anyone have suggestions or comments to make this work best?

What little experience I have in this matter has taught me that panning two mics would probably be more effective than running three mics mono. If you have the abiltiy to multi-track, try playing with a couple different tracks. Each one having a different sound on the guitar, and even using different mics for those different sounds. Then if you pan one hard-left, and the other hard right, you get some really big guitar sound.

try both ways.......i haven't tried panning the 2 mics......normally i've recorded 2 guitarists using multiple mics (different mics) and panned each guitarist to their own side........i think it sounds pretty huge.

Micing up cabs with 57's ive found putting one in the front, looking at the grill, and one on the other side, facing the back of the speaker cone (with its phase reversed) sounds really good. The track coming from the back of the cab gets this really nice bottom end chunk to it. Sounds nice.

Poddy said:
putting one in the front, looking at the grill, and one on the other side, facing the back of the speaker cone (with its phase reversed)

I've heard of that technique as well, but haven't had the opportunity to use it.

Back