Guitar fx opinions

jo blo

Any opinions on the boss GT6 ?

What other effects units do you like for heavy and mainstream rock styles for recording your live-mic'ed amp?

I've used lots of processors, and like boss's current offerings. I mostly use an '88 ibanez roadstar solidbody into a randall 100w 2x12.

It will howl, but sometimes I want that floor-stomping modern metal crunch which sounds good d-tunings, etc.

Other times, i just want to feel...you know...pretty, but thats another story...heh

I'm not a fan of those multi fx machines. Off course they offer a versatility, but when you are really in a band and after you're own style, the most important thing is to find a guitar and an amp that define your style the most.

I don't have any experience with the GT6, but I didn't like the GT3 that much. Off course that is just an opinion. It has great features, but I just ain't a fan of those Roland/Boss sounds.

Yeah, I second that. I know that some of the guit amp modeling stuff is supposed to be really great these days, but Ive just never played a digital distortion that I liked, at least never in a live situation.
Im using a mesa V-Twin ( http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rackmount-Preamps/V-Twin/v-twin.html )
and my amps distortion (ampeg reveb rocket 1x12) to get my tones. The mesa provides lots of customization(2 channels, one solo switch, 3 band EQ, gain and presence), but you have to like the mesa sound to begin with cause its mostly variations on that. But that things gets the most amazing heavy dist for me. Its by and far my favorite pedal of all the ones Ive had. Ive also used the Ibanez Tubescreamer, Turbo ratt, danelectro Daddy O, Boss D-1, Big Muff, Boss Heavy Metal II, DOD Grunge and a couple of others that wernt memorable enough to list.
Of those I liked the Tube screamer, the Daddy O and the DOD Grunge for Heavy tone. The metal pedal was a little too 80's for me, the big muff is a great sustain pedal and good for rock solo's, the D-1 is kinda generic but good for some songs.
Getting an amp with the distortion that you want is the best way to go, but not everybody can drop $1000 +/- for a new distortion.
Hope this helps.
Todd

I'll second the Mesa Boogie V-Twin. I use it with a Marshall and a Roland JC120. It kicks ass. It's not a stomp box per se as much as it is a floor model tube pre-amp. It's more like adding a couple of extra channels to your amp. There is a rackmount version as well.

"modernmetalcrunch"sounds too processed,and has no original tone,basically every band i 've heard recorded in the last 5 years,on alterna-or commercial radio has the same bland distorted tone(but then i am being an opinionated *sshole)go with what these guys are saying or just get a mesa boogie stack.that's a good HEAVY sound for doing "modern"or post-modern sounds.

Man, man, man I went down and plugged in a v-twin yesterday at the store. I couldn't believe the price at first (399.00) but then I plugged it in to an amp exactly like mine and after about 10 seconds I knew that's what I had been looking for. This thing literally does KICK ASS. and it's got great tone on more subtle stuff too. Thanks for the info guys. Boss will have to get my money another way

I don't like the multi effects things either ESPECIALLY THE POD! I played around with one of my friends and it just was crap! , My main setup now is a kramer pacer/Kramer FocusVT111S into a DS-1 distortion pedal -> Danelectro Autowah -> Danelectro Overdrive -> Stone SGA R30 Acoustic Amp That gets me a pretty unique sound (especially those Danelectro pedals) that I like.

Back