Guitar effects

cian

I've been using Cubase a few days now and it's mostly been working fine but I have had one or two niggles.

The first one is recording guitar while effects on. I can hear it through the monitor while I play and any distortion I have enabled works fine, the only problem is that when I record it and play it back it sounds "clean", like no effects were added at all. Anything I need to do to make it work?

The other big problem is with exporting songs. It seems to work and it looks like it does but when I export as either a WAV or MP3 file, it's just silence when played back. Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

not sure how you managed the first but im fairly certain the answer to your second question is that you have not selected a big enough area (highlighted sky blue colour) behind the tracks before you exported. Im not sure this is the best way to explain it. If its not reply and i'll try to post some example pics to help explain.

I bet Kip is correct with question 2. For question 1, what are you recording with?? Where are these guitar effects that you mentioned?? Are they vst's? Screenshots always help.

I'll get some screenshots up asap. Been too busy to get online in the last few days but I really appreciate the help!

I'm noticing the same thing on question one. I used a gain box on my Vox AC15 and was recording some harmonic feedback; cutting in and out with a volume pedal. My mic is a Sterling ST51. I had it a few inches away from the speaker. It recorded really clean; I didn't really hear my reverb either. Should I pull the mic away some? Is it the mic? Cubase? Interface?

Sorry for the delay but here are some screenshots.

So as you can see from the green-blue bars, it recognises the signal (and makes sound).

Capture.jpg

I set the distortion and record a few seconds.

Capture1.jpg

Capture2.jpg

The distortion is very obvious when I play the notes either with guitar or bass but it vanishes when I try to listen back using the "play" tool.

If there are any other screenshots I could add then I'll be glad to do so.

Answer #2: See that little triangle in the bar above you track? Those are the locators. You need to drag them to the size of the events you want to export. Or ctrl+left click on the bar for start point, alt+left click on the bar for end point.

Not sure about question 1 yet.

The only thing I know is that you cannot record effects in LE5 as you are not given input channel control as you are in 5. What you see in the project window is actually coming through the Mixer. Any insert placed there should be heard just the same during playback as when you are tracking. There can be an audible difference in volume between what you hear with monitor engaged while tracking as opposed to playback volume. Hope any of this made any sense. :D

Back