Guitar Direct Box Question

rozsand

Ok, I'm having trouble getting a good crunchy sound out of my guitar when I'm recording direct, and every software distortion I've tried sounds like I'm playing a tin can. (Don't say "mic a 4 x 12" cab" because I live in an apartment so DI is my only option now.)

Which of these setups would work better?

Guitar --> Boss Distortion Pedal --> ART Tube MP --> DAW

or (I *think* the ART will accept a external speaker output / power amp out... let me know if this is a bad idea)

Guitar --> Amp (Distortion) --> (Powered External Speaker Jack) --> ART Tube MP (to bring the signal WAY down) --> DAW

or

Know of any good software distortion? :)

Thanks!

~ Nate the Newbie

Do not plug a speaker output into a mic pre!!!!!!! You will most likely blow them both up!!!!
What you need is a cabinet simulator. The sound of a guitar amp is pretty bad (like your distorion box) before it goes into the speaker cab. You should get something like a Pod or J-Station. Your distortion pedal was meant to go into a guitar amp and through a speaker cab.

Find a used Mesa Boogie Studio pre amp for about 300-350 bucks. Real tubes that will smoke the pants off any of the garbage that line 6 makes.

rozsand said:
Guitar --> Boss Distortion Pedal --> ART Tube MP --> DAW
This one only!

The only thing you're missing here is what the speaker does to your sound. Since mic'ing a cabinet is out, you will have to simulate it somehow as Farview said.

1) See if your software has a cabinet simulation effect or something.

2) Try an amp modeler (Line 6 pod, Boss GT-6, etc) for the cabinet portion or all of your guitar sound.

3) Try a DI with built-in cabinet simulation:
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--BEHGI100
You could put this between your boss pedal and ART tube MP.
This unit will also handle up to 3k watts of meant-for-speaker power on input. (Doesn't that send shivers up your spine? - Just a Behringer something-or-other between 3,000 watts and your DAW?!)

The Art tube MP is not intended take speaker-level signals.

This unit will also handle up to 3k watts of meant-for-speaker power on input. (Doesn't that send shivers up your spine? - Just a Behringer something-or-other between 3,000 watts and your DAW?!)

The Art tube MP is not intended take speaker-level signals.

Ah... I hadn't bought / researched an ART MP, and assumed it would take a speaker signal like most of the other direct boxes I'd seen (the cheapo Behringer being one). Reading the manual it seems like it's more of just a preamp, and doesn't have cab simulation either for that matter. So I guess that's not an option anymore, it was the cab sim I needed... not another preamp.

I guess that puts me back to the drawing board again, especially if you think I shouldn't even send speaker-level signals to the Behringer.

Ok so how 'bout this instead...

First, ditch the amp because there's no way to use it in a signal chain without a mic safely.

Second, run the signal...

Guitar --> Distortion Pedal --> Behringer GI100 --> DAW

I could substitute the X V-AMP Floor Preamp/Effects Unit (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...48308/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/480732/) for the GI100. I'm not sure that'd be any better though. I can't afford a POD on my budget.

So, if you don't mind, give me your thoughts... or just tell me to save for the POD.

You don't have to ditch the amp. The GI100 should be able to handle either that or the boss pedal. The cabinet simulation on it is switchable so you can use it as a normal DI as well (like for an acoustic guitar with an output).

I was just having fun with the shivers comment. Behringer has a reputation for inexpensive imitation products. I researched DIs in the pro live audio forums and found the Ultra DI100 to be quite respectable. It is a copy of a much more expensive BSS unit. I have two and know of six more that have been in service for over two years now. I haven't tried the cabinet simulator version yet.

The V-Amp is a guitar preamp just like a distortion pedal or modeler.
You will still need a mic preamp in your chain:

Guitar -> amp/distortion pedal -> DI (w/cab sim) -> mic preamp -> DAW

Unless your DAW has a buit-in mic preamp.

rozsand said:
Ok, I'm having trouble getting a good crunchy sound out of my guitar when I'm recording direct
That's hardly surprising... without some sort of amp modeller (such as a POD, V-Amp, J-Station, whatever...) you will find it extremely difficult to get a good distorted sound without mic'ing......

I'm not a huge fan of modellers, but they do work when you have no other choice.....

But gtr --> dist pedal --> preamp --> recorder is guaranteed to sound like complete crap....

rozsand said:
I'm not sure that'd be any better though. I can't afford a POD on my budget.

On Ebay, you can buy used Digitech Genesis 3 amp modelers for about $80. If you buy one make sure it comes with a manual- it's not really a complicated piece of gear but a few of it's features didn't make sense until I read a couple pages of the manual.

Back