Guitar cable splitter???

On that note...if it is my fridge interfering with my bass causing the buzz, does that mean the electrics in my bass aren't properly shielded?

As far as the fridge buzz, try plugging things into different ac outlets and see if that helps.

I put a separate fuse box in my house for my studio. Make sure your fuse box is well grounded. I ran a new 6' stake into the ground and ran solid 1/4" bare copper cable to it.

Cables made like this give you a lot more protection against hum than standard cables - I do all my cables this way:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=294090

In the 80's friend of mine was in Buddy Rich's band and they did a video shoot. It was actually in a recording studio made up to look like a club. They took hours trying to figure out why the bass was buzzing, while Buddy sat around pissed. Eventually, they ran a ground wire to the bass player's wrist and that stopped it. It was released on VHS and you can see the wire on the bass player in the video!

Big Buddy Rich fan so I'll check that video out...what was the track?!

Unfortunately I'm living in a first floor flat (apartment) so may not have many options when it comes to rewiring. But from what you're saying, the problem doesn't lie within the bass? If that's the case I'm much happier now!

Dinty - love the splitter box. Make me one and I'll buy it from you! Radio Shack used to be known over here as Tandy but they died off a good few years ago. Plenty of other places to try though. I did wonder whether you could use things like that in reverse...only one way to find out though! Can't hurt anything...can i?!

Ya gotta make your own box! If you do, don't copy my jack layout too exactly!

Radio Shack used to say "a division of Tandy Leather" on the catalog. I always thought that it was kinda strange. Bondage electronics? Radio Shack is struggling to find it's identity. They went from electronics to radio controlled cars in the 90's and now they mostly sell different colored phones. I asked the manager if he sells Skype or USB phones and he said he hadn't heard of them. What a crock! Skype could cause Radio Shack to fold this year.

Last edited:
Big Buddy Rich fan so I'll check that video out...what was the track?!

It was a whole concert - a bunch of tunes. I don't know the name of it but it was in the mid 80's, probably '86, and it's got Buddy on a clear plexiglass riser, so they can film from underneath. I know it was released but I just got a bootleg copy from my friend.

You can tell that the band isn't happy, and that was because they waited around so long to solve the bass buzz problem.

Your bass problem could be the bass. I'd want to know if it does it in other locations and if the way I wire cables would solve it. I guess the bozo way would be to unplug your fridge when you lay down tracks! But who likes warm Gatorade - or worse! :(

Tandy have pretty much been replaced over here by a company called Maplins. They're great for components but terribly over priced for mics, mixers or any other products.

Just checked your web page out. Love your home made tube amp. Always wanted one but they cost thousands of £'s over here. I'm a drummer and I also am very picky over sound quality. Wish I could find someone that sells a DIY tube amp kit over here.

well, the buzz isn't consistent, it gets worse when I'm nearer the fridge or if I touch the end of my lead which goes into the bass (i guess because I'm conducting more RF interference into it?).

Tell me it's not the bass. Please, tell me it's not the bass!

well, the buzz isn't consistent, it gets worse when I'm nearer the fridge or if I touch the end of my lead which goes into the bass (i guess because I'm conducting more RF interference into it?).

Tell me it's not the bass. Please, tell me it's not the bass!
I've found weird things like that happening with my bass. When I first got the bassman amp, I played out and it was OK. Then I set up at home and I decided to go through two amps {the bassman and a Spider line 6 15w guitar amp} just to see if I could mix a fuzzy tone with a clean one and blend. I had the bass really trebly but all I got was this buzz. I moved all over the room, but all to no avail. I moved the amps everywhere. No joy. It was driving me nuts so I thought maybe a shielded cable was the answer. I went to the first guitar shop on Denmark Street {the one right on the corner with Charing + road that has Andy the guitar repair wizard down in their basement}, coz that's where I bought the amp. The guys there told me a shielded cable was not gonna solve it and that it was just a reality of electronic bass and amps. They demonstrated and sure enough, their basses and hot amps buzzed. They advised me to try and EQ it out so I spent days thinking about how I could manage it with my noise reduction unit. Anyway, the next time I set up to record, I set up to the side of the amp....and no buzz ! It's really weird. I set up in the same place and sometimes it's silent. Other times I'll get buzzing and Radio Bulgaria howling through it ! I haven't got a clue what it is. 27 years ago I was an apprentice electrician for a week but electrics really aren't my strong point !!:laughings:

Tandy have pretty much been replaced over here by a company called Maplins. They're great for components but terribly over priced for mics, mixers or any other products.

Just checked your web page out. Love your home made tube amp. Always wanted one but they cost thousands of £'s over here. I'm a drummer and I also am very picky over sound quality. Wish I could find someone that sells a DIY tube amp kit over here.

I'm sure the folks in Arizona would be happy to sell you one of their tube amp kits.

One time a resistor burned out on the amp. I phoned the place I got it from, and the guy who answered the phone had the schematic in his brain, and told me what Radio Shack resistor to buy to fix it. So that's a lifetime amp, I'll never need to take it into get repaired. Bargain at $150 or whatever it was.

RE your bass: I'd wanna see if the cables I make would solve it. Maybe the bass could use some foil inside? Maybe Al Qaeda planted a transmitter in your fridge and they're using your house as a radio station. :eek:

RE your bass: I'd wanna see if the cables I make would solve it. Maybe the bass could use some foil inside? Maybe Al Qaeda planted a transmitter in your fridge and they're using your house as a radio station. :eek:

You're very welcome to send me a lead to try out!!

Foil? As simple as that?

Found the cause of where the buzz on my bass is coming from. Not the fridge but the lights in my front room which are on a dimmer switch!

Blimey. Is that normal for a bass/guitar. Do I have any ground to go back to the shop and shout at them???

Nope
I am under the impression that your bass has single coil pickups. is your bass a Jazz or precision model?
chances are that your bass does not have a Faraday cage installed to shield from any RF interference.

Dimmer switches are notorious for doing that.

Take it out and replace it with a 79 cent switch.

Incandescents on dimmer switches and fluorescent bulbs are usually no-no's in studios.

Back