guitar cable question help please!

SeppukU

the plugs on guitar cable snaped off and its the only cable i own so is there a way to fix it or a good place to buy a good cheap one

...face it man, time to break down and spend $12. on a new cable--at your nearest guitar shop...

If the end snapped off, you needed a new cable anyways. Invest in a good cable for yourself. I like Whirlwind, Monster, and CBI (Belden) guitar cables myself.

H2H

come on dude,

where talking 'bout a cable here... it's not like it's a fortune or anything... spend the f*cking cash there's no way you can get a "bargain" here.

oh wait, check ebay, they might be selling a second-hand one there!:D you might save like 0.50 dollar!!!:rolleyes:

guhlenn

And then blow the .50 you've saved on P&P.

Oh, and to find it doesn't work properly and you have to send it back.

yea I hate when that happens. better off with 20 feet of Monster Studio Pro 1000. well worth every C-note.

You can always pull what the assholes we've been auditioning lately are trying to do...

Find a band that's auditioning guitarists. Go in with a guitar, but no cord ("oops, i forgot"), and try and snatch their cords. Go ahead, see if they notice. For good measure, why don't you try and take the tuners, too?

(Yeah, that fucker was politely "declined." He sucked anyway. But we got his license plate number and reverse-searched his telephone number to make sure we knew where HIS shit was, too. Just in case anything BIG came up missing later on.)

C'mon, $15! And get something about 20' or longer. I kinda dig the Fender fabric-wound cords (the ones that look like plastic co-ax, in a way).

hey slack,

thats about the cheapest looking cable i have ever seen... except for the ones i made myself:D

i really hate those angled plugs, makes me think of "my first sony"in a way:p

guhlenn

Doesn't anyone here know how to fix a cable? Maybe Im weird, but Ive owened a soldering iron since I was 12 years old, and have built my own snakes and dozens of instrument cables. Invest in a soldering Iron, and learn to fix things, that way when it happens to your overpriced Monster cable breaks you can repair it. Its a must skill for musicians and Studio/audio engineers.

Peace,
Dennis

I don't think that not knowing how to fix a cable is the real problem here. I've never met a guitar player with one cable and a soldering iron for crying out loud. Besides, most cheapo guitar guitar cables are foil wrapped or unsheiled...can't get much use out of em for very long anyhow. What's the point of investing MORE money into a hunk of junk cable?

SuppukU, I think that you should invest $20 in a reasonably high quality cable.

Slackmaster 2000

In terms of cable length,I recall hearing about 18 feet being the magic number for an unbalanced cable being reasonably quiet.Longer cords can have induce hum from flourescents etc.
Tom

i can make em... though not very well as you can read above:o

plus yes, prefab cables have less hum...

guhlenn

Slackmaster2K said:
I don't think that not knowing how to fix a cable is the real problem here.
Slackmaster 2000

How true, but on the other hand, even high quality cables can be damaged by various methods, in which throwing out a slew of $20 cables becomes, not very cost effective. If the real problem is "I got no money" then your pretty much up a creek. Maybe we should recommend buying 2 cables of decent quality, one back up and one primary. Does anyone ever buy just one set of strings?

Peace,
Dennis

if you cannot afford a cable you cannot afford your electric bill so you'll have to play an (borrowed) acoustic which, guess what, doesn't need a cable!!!:D
guhlenn

Jump on the new guy who is just asking for simple advice..

Fucking typical around here.

SeppukU:

Go to radioshack and just by 2 of the ends, and solder them on....Pay attention to how the preceding ones were attached and just do it the same way......

If you don't have a soldering Iron, just borrow one.... Someone you know will have one....

Im sort of the same way with some of my hobbies.... Me and a few buddies Race Gas powered R/C Cars (Yeah I know, Im too old for that, but hey I like it), and I always have gas lines busting, and instead of going to the store and spending $10 on a 10 foot coil of the stuff, I just keep throwing on whatever shit I find in the garage.......

The little shit adds up.....

Doctor the cord up now so it works, and when you get the $$$ Just grab one of them better ones....

BG

The run of the mill $15.00 / 15 foot guitar shop cord will do just fine for a non-gear-slut guitarist like me. (OK, so I am a virtual gear slut - we all have our little secrets). Our local shop sells Peaveys and they work. If I made my living doing this like Hard2Hear does (who is NOT hard to listen to, by the way - just hearing the guy play makes me go out and buy new strings) (besides, I want his guitar), or was in the business like Slack, I would invest in the best stuff I could reasonably find, too. When I wanted to learn how to make a cable, I went to RSlab and got the pieces and made them hot until things began to melt. All good advice.

But don't overanalyze it - just get a better cable and focus on your cord changes... :cool:

Bleeding Gums, nobody really jumped on anyone. For shit's sake, if a person has to come to a BBS for advice about a broken guitar cable, then he's going to get picked on a little bit. I mean if a person has the means to get a guitar, an amplifier, strings, and picks, then doesn't it seem a *little* funny that a broken guitar cable would be such a fiasco? Maybe he just started playing guitar...that's fine, but I'm sure he can take a little bit of a joke.

We're talking about less than 20 bucks. What should we recommend when he loses his pick? Should he try molding his own pick from a dead turtle? How about a guitar strap? Would a piece of string work? Speaking of strings, what do you do when you break a guitar string? Can you solder a broken string back together? After all, the little things do add up.

Slackmaster 2000

Back