Guitar Cabinet mic.

BroKenSticKs

...yes, another thread.

I'm going to be recording two 1-12 cabinets using one mic and i'm looking for a good mic to use. I want something very natural sounding.

Procreezy said:
What type of budget do you have to work with?
What style/sound are you after?
Do you already have any mics?
I'm renting all the gear so flexible budget within reason.

I'm going for a classic rock heavy bluesy sound.

...and i have no mics. (well for this application)

At the high end, I might take a look at a few ribbons. The Royer R121 and AEA R84 come to mind.

There are also a couple really nice dynamics that are worth a checking out like the EV RE20 and Sennheiser MD421 or maybe the Shure Sm7.

And even cheaper, but not necisarily of lesser sonic value, the famous SM57 is always an option or check out a Sennheiser e609.

Procreezy said:
At the high end, I might take a look at a few ribbons. The Royer R121 and AEA R84 come to mind.

There are also a couple really nice dynamics that are worth a checking out like the EV RE20 and Sennheiser MD421 or maybe the Shure Sm7.

And even cheaper, but not necisarily of lesser sonic value, the famous SM57 is always an option or check out a Sennheiser e609.
Originaly i was just going to through a 57 in front of it. I'll look into the mics you mentioned. Thanks for the reply. :)

http://www.royerlabs.com/r_121.html

What they say about that mic is pretty much exactly what i want.

"On playback you'll notice that the recorded sound is natural and alive, with a panoramic, ambient feel much like what you heard when you were standing in front of the instruments you recorded."

It might be too expensive for me. I'm renting everything for a month and that mic alone might be an aweful lot.

BroKenSticKs said:
Originaly i was just going to through a 57 in front of it.

Given that you take the time to, find the best sounding speaker, crank the amp loud enough that the speaker will move a little, and then find the best spot to mic that speaker......id say a 57 is a great choice.

Be warned though.....if the amp is a crate combo youre fucked anyway.

Good day! :D

xfinsterx said:
Given that you take the time to, find the best sounding speaker, crank the amp loud enough that the speaker will move a little, and then find the best spot to mic that speaker......id say a 57 is a great choice.

Be warned though.....if the amp is a crate combo youre fucked anyway.

Good day! :D
The amp is no crate. ;) The problem is that he has two Cabinets that each contribute to his guitar sound. I cant pick one to close mic because i want them both on track. :p

BroKenSticKs said:
The amp is no crate. ;) The problem is that he has two Cabinets that each contribute to his guitar sound. I cant pick one to close mic because i want them both on track. :p

is this digital or do you have a lot of track space? if so, record one take with one speaker and then do an identical take using the other speaker. if you don't think its possible to play the identically twice i guess that won't work, but its not as hard as it seems.

Are you looking to capture a stereo sound or is the blend of the two cabs the sound you're looking for? If tracks are not a problem, I would use an SM57 on each cab (isolated from each other as best as possible) and pan the finished tracks slightly L and R to simulate the effect of standing between the two cabs. The 57 is a guitar cabinet workhorse. I love it for both stage and studio. Playing the part twice is also great for a huge sound if it's a fat, chunky rhythm part.

Back