guitar cab differences

michaelq

just out of curiousity..could anyone explain the difference (apart from looks) between an angled cab and a straight cab..whether its just with sound projection, or what. thanks. ...-michael q

michaelq said:
just out of curiousity..could anyone explain the difference (apart from looks) between an angled cab and a straight cab..whether its just with sound projection, or what. thanks. ...-michael q

Well, theoretically, when you angle the top two speakers in a cabinet, you are creating a phase misalignment situation, which is to say that, the sounds from the top two speakers do not arrive at the same time as the bottom two.

Most amp guys I know think that angled cabs do not sound as good as straight cabs.

Myself, I don't really think about it because I don't want to have to carry a 4X12 around, and I use a 1X12 Bag End guitar cab. Sounds huge, and is much lighter.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

If you stand close to your rig, an angled cabinet can be easier to hear, as 2 of the speakers are more directed towards your ears.

Since many bands also mike the cabinets, the mains get the same sound from either type.

A straght 4x12 cabinet can be somewhat directional for audience members who walk across the direct path to the speakers. An angled cabinet spreads the sound around a bit more, and is a little less directional in nature.

I use angled 2x12 cabinets, one on each side of the stage.

Ed

Back