guitar amp

SeppukU

i was looking at my amp today and noticed that the the mixer is rated to handle 40 watts and that the speakers rated for 15 watts. So my question is what would happen if i traded the old speaker out for a new speaker of the same size with a higher wattage ?

That sounds pretty starnge! Cos if u have a 40watt amp that is powering a 15watt speaker thats not good at all! A 40 watt amp would damage the speaker! If I was u I would replace the speaker any way! im guessin ur amp sounds pretty bad and distorted when it is cranked at the moment! If I was u I would replace the speaker with a quality celestion! They start at about £35 anf go up from their but a celestion will last u a life time and they are quality speakers!

Ah, CRAZY, that's wrong as hell. You're a LOT less likely to damage a speaker with a amp with an output rating higher than that of the power rating on the speaker. Dirty power is what blows speakers. A speaker with a rated power handling capacity of say 25 watts driven by a power amp with an output of 200 watts is a lot less likly to be damaged than the same speaker driven by a 50 watt amp. The reason being that the more powerful amp will be delivering CLEAN power. To bring the speaker up to the same percieved volume level with the smaller amp you could more easily get the amp to produce square waves which can turn a speaker inside out.

Its simple physics not even physics but common sense some thing with a higher power rating that drives some thing that has a lower power rating (Slave) will damage the later! it obvious! U wouldnt go pumping 240v into some thing that could only handle 100v would u!
U can have a 15watt amp powering a 45watt speaker and have no damage! But a 45watt amp powering a 15watt speaker will break it or sound crap!

well now im really confused anyone got any suggestions on what type of speaker to buy and wattage? i was looking at a celestion 75 watt and a celestion 60 watt and a celestion 80 watt. the 75 watt is a g12t 75 series and the 60 watt is a vintage 30 and the 80 watt is a silver series or should i go with a wattage lower than 40? please help.

Go for a wattage higher than 40! If u think logically about what I said on my last post it will make sense! I woudl get the 6o watt speaker! There is no point goin any hight than that cos u can only power to 45w any way! The vintage cellestions are very good they are used in some marshall combo's and have been in some cab's I think they still are actually!
Hope thats a help!

SeppuKu, don't take my word for it, do a search here. It's been covered many times. Or you could just throw your money away.:D

Back