Guild GAD30 Orchestra Model

I have not played that model but...

my local scam ash is keeping a stock of the new chinese Guild guitars and i must say that they are not bad at all! none of them stack up to my vintage Guild D25 but then again thats another story...

the only thing i can say is that these guitars look a lot like the Epiphone master built guitars.... only maybe new tags and a headstock changed...

if you can round up about $300 more bucks Larrevee is making a nice little acoustic guitar that is all solid wood, i would stack its tone up to about any of the other guitars in its leage, i think it would still come out on top a bit...

rpe said:
I really don't want to pay $5K for a Ryan or Olsen, etc.

Well, that's probably good, since Kevin's guitars start at around $6000, and Jim's start at about $12,500. :D

As for Guilds, the ones which were made in the US are great, but the new ones have a questionable reputation. And unlike girlfriends, guitars should never have questionable reputations. :eek:

If you want the best of the Guilds, you need to look at a seventies model. They made some truely spectacular guitars back then. Right when Gibson and Martin were in the middle of their worst period, Guild was putting out their best stuff. Look around, they are worth finding, if you can.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I was hoping you'd chime in Light. I seem to recall you having a preference for walnut rather than rosewood. Can you try to put into words why you like the walnut better?

thanks,

rpe

rpe said:
I was hoping you'd chime in Light. I seem to recall you having a preference for walnut rather than rosewood. Can you try to put into words why you like the walnut better?

thanks,

rpe

No, I don't think I've said such a thing. They are both fine woods, and I've heard wonderful guitars out of either. Neither of them is really in my range of preference for MY style of playing, but for others they can be wonderful. Now, I DO have a preference for mahogany over rosewood. Mahogany has a much stronger fundimental, witch is quite nice. Actually, these days I am leaning towards big leaf maple and cocobolo more than anything else, for acoustic guitars. Their pretty different, but they both have a very smooth and apealing high end. The big leaf maple has that clarity of maple, but is not as shrill and bitting as the hard maple that Gibson and Guild have always used. Cocobolo has this simply amazing, almost bell like chimey high end, supported by a strong low end.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

My mistake, it probably was mahogany that I remember you talking about. Do you have a website that describes the guitars you and your family make? I'm really looking for an 000 or OM size that will record fingerstyle well. Hymns, ballads, DADGAD. Your suggestions are appreciated.

rpe

Back