Guide to posting your MP3 in this forum.

badgas

First off, this is only a suggestion.
I'm not trying to be the boss or make the rules.
Some feed back here would be nice since I've never had too much about it except from about three or four people when I said I was gonna post a song here so the lyrics and meter could be discussed.

So lemme know what you guys/gals would like. MP3s in this forum, or not.

I think it would be great. It's hard as hell to advise someone on a song without the music, and as somoene said, songwriting includes music, not the tech/recording/mixing side of the music.

I'll tell ya, usually I'm at a total loss sometimes about the lyrics that are posted. 9 out of 10 times I read, from the author, that the suggestions just won't fit in with the music.
I can understand that. Many suggestions that have been made to me doesn't fit into the music.

If we post here, asking for non-recording input, feedback like 'does the meter fit?' 'how about some suggestions on the bridge' and any other questions that come up about writing a song.

I can only think of two guidlines at the moment.

1. Don't ask for mixing, recording, sound help.
2. Ask for songwriting assistance, advice, ideas, critics.

The reason for this would save a lot of work for the forum police so they don't have to spend their time correcting some new person to the songwriters forum about crossposting or that their song should be in the MP3 clinic.

A nice tidy forum is something comfortable to come to, but sometimes new people don't realize what they are doing to the people who do know what they are doing. Hell, I make my share of mistakes and when one of the forum cops comes down on me I don't like it anymore than new people do.

I hang out on quite a few songwriters forums, six all totaled, and this is the most lax forum for songwritters to come to. I don't think this Songwriters Forum is the best, but the potenitual is here to make it one of the best.
A while back someone posted a thread in the visitors forum about all the grumpy people who correct others. I, like others, think the person misunderstood what someone said to him about the search engine. Anyway, that guy hasn't been back to my knowledge. I'd hate to have some good songwriters come here and leave over some misunderstanding.

There have been a few people I remember in here who aren't here any more, and they were good. One of them is over at the tunesmith forum now. Because of some misunderstanding.

That's why I'm asking what you guys/gals think of a small guide line, not rules. If we can come up with something tangeble, maybe we could sumit it to Dragon2 so it could be placed on the top of the forum page. Hell, I don't know. That's why I'm asking you people for ideas.

Lemme know. I'd like to discuss this further.

I always thought it was silly to post lyrics here without an mp3. Without music it's like some pussy poetry convention.

Hey, Tex.
I thought so too.
But people don't post mp3s here for songwriting critques.
If they have, I've missed them.

Badgas,
AS you probably already know, I've just started posting mp3's a few weeks ago in the Clinic. I've been hanging out here in the songwriting forum, off an on, for awhile. And you are totally right about the song without the music. It's hard to tell anything worth while without hearing the music in the song. I've heard some great lyrics put to lame music. The two just didn't seem to go together. And some songs flow better lyricly at different meters. I'm glad you brought this subject up. If we can keep the critques away from recording tech shop and strictly song structure, direction, meter, and accents, ect.. It would make a great forum.

<><
George

TexRoadkill said:
I always thought it was silly to post lyrics here without an mp3. Without music it's like some pussy poetry convention.
Kinda like "interpetive dance":D

Go for it BG...We make this place what it is..I would definately listen to and read your stuff..I can't post MP3's{doorstop comp.}..However I would if I could..Thats one of the reasons I dont post in the MP3 Clinic..However here I could comment on lyrics and phraseing with no guilt about the fact that no ones heard my work..Good idea BG

Don

How bout posting lyrics here along with a link to the thread containing the song that you post in the MP3 Clinic????

huh?? huh???

is that a good idea, or what? :p

WATYF

Hi, zelmobeaty.
I know what ya mean about the girly thingy. But on the other hand I lack a manly feeling when I hear music and can read the lyrics. :D

I listened to some of your tunes. Impressive.
I take it you don't require any input.
Philly Rocks. Been a while since I've been there.
Always had a good time. :)

Hi George.
This isn't my idea. I copped it from someone elses post. Can't remember who or what post. I'm just following through.
Yeah, I've seen ya over in the Clinic. Like your group of guys and songs. Well done.
I didn't know you played drums. For some reason I thought you were a keyboard player.

Anyway, Good to have ya back.
It's tough to talk to someone about their lyrics when there is no melody to go with it. Just a poets picnic most of the time.
I like the idea WATYF has too. Post lyrics with your MP3. That'll be #3 on the list.

Hi Henri.
"interpetive dance"
That's funny.

Please don't think I'm doing this for my songs. I know what my stuff sounds like. ;)
Really, it would make it much easier, a bit more fun and I think it would help us all in the long run on structure and songwriting.

Yep, it's our forum. Just trying to toss some ideas around.
Ya know, I've been here a year now and I don't know if I ever seen Dragon2 around anywhere. After we get a few more suggestions I'll probably send an email to the Dragon himself.
What do you think?

What is a 'doorstop' computer. Dialup?

WATYF said:
How bout posting lyrics here along with a link to the thread containing the song that you post in the MP3 Clinic????

huh?? huh???

is that a good idea, or what? :p

WATYF
Good idea?
That's the key to this whole thing. :)
I knew that, but for some reason was more focused on the first two and it got lost. Don't know how to explain it any better than that. Ya just gotta live in my head to understand. :eek: I'm really glad you brought it up. It would of come up later, adding or making more confusion.
Thanks.

1. Don't ask for mixing, recording, sound help.
2. Ask for songwriting assistance, advice, ideas, critics.
3. Post your "Lyrics" with a link to your MP3.

Anyone see any changes, comments, more ideas on the suggestive guide list?
No dead line, just take yer time.

badgas said:
Hi George.
I didn't know you played drums. For some reason I thought you were a keyboard player.

Badgas,

I play just enough drums to be dangerous. And you were right, I am a keyboard player. (In order of preference and believability), I play keys, guitar, bass, and an atomic particle bit of drums.

<><
George

Badgas, you got smarts....

I've always wanted to post an mp3 so's my words were recieved in proper context (any context) but, noticed that is didn't happen and respected my assumtion that posting the lyrics being active in a song was bad news in this forum.

I don't see why you couldn't post a link as long as it is clear that we are dealing with LYRICS and the application thereof only.

The mp3 clinic takes care of mixing needs (including stuff like, "I can't understand the words because of the mix")

I fully endorse posting mp3's in this forum so as to better understand the lyrics and to provide suggestions.......

So, whoopy!! I agree, what now?

Theron.

:D ..pussy poetry convention....lmao..nice...all for it ...its sorta like watchin t.v. with no picture to put things in context...or to put it more eloquently...just read therons post.

fuck you all..(man that killed me theron)

ok ok sorry
jamal

Back