Group Buy Ribbons

J_Bursch

As posted previously, I have some Ribbons from one of the Group Buys that have sagging ribbons. They work, but there not perfect. You could retension or replace the ribbons and they would be great. I've got some ACM-3's (royer clone) and ACM-2's (lollipop). Shoot me an offer if you are interested.

I would also be willing to trade for mics. I need an SM57 and something decent for recording Kick Drum.

never had a ribbon mic before, so excuse my ignorance..
can the ribbons be tensioned by anyone? or do you need special tool and knowledge to do it?
i see you have 10 of the royer clones, all of them have the same problem?
How do you know the ribbon is sagging
and lastly, are they useable in their current state?

thanks

never had a ribbon mic before, so excuse my ignorance..
can the ribbons be tensioned by anyone? or do you need special tool and knowledge to do it?
i see you have 10 of the royer clones, all of them have the same problem?
How do you know the ribbon is sagging
and lastly, are they useable in their current state?

thanks

A face mask, a moist cotton swab, and high carbon steel screwdrivers so that they aren't significantly attracted to the magnets. Beyond that, its really easy to screw up, hard to do correctly, but yes, it can be done. I did four of them and only tore one.... :D

I'm trying to figure out how to describe this material beyond saying that it is the thinnest metal foil you will ever likely encounter. It's like working with something that's as flexible as cellophane wrap, but as lightweight as the thinnest tissue paper you can find. It's fairly difficult to work with, but not impossible.

I know the ribbons are sagging because I have visually inspected each one.

They are usable as they are. Given how common the problem is, I suspect that there are lots of folks out there who are using loose ribbons in their mics and don't even know it. However, they will not perform as well as they should in their current state, so I am not comfortable dumping them on E-bay as they are. I am offering them here to people who understand the issue and want a ribbon mic to mess with. Do a search on sagging ribbons to read about the issue.

I have never retensioned one myself. I took a look at it and decided it was too delicate a procedure for my clumsy hands. It has been done by several folks on this board. Do a search and you'll see their results.

The ribbon material looks like a strip of corrogated aluminum foil, but is similar to the weight and thickness of gold leaf. It's very delicate.

Thanks for you interest.

Back