Group buy mics / ACM 6802T

nuemes

Be Here Now
Had a chance to try the mics this weekend with a friend who sings and plays a Martin OM (28)?

For guitar we tried the ACM2, 3, 310 & 6802T, also AKG C414, AT4033 & Blue Baby Bottle. Preamp was Avalon M5.

ACM2 was way too dark, borderline useless.
ACM3 was better than the ACM2 but also too dark.
310 was ok but was not able to pick up the low end of the Martin. An improvement over the ribbons though.
AT4033 was a bit too bright and colored.
Baby Botttle had heavy mids.
C414 was very good though a little to controlling in the lows.

The 6802T was perfect; very similar to the C414 but with less controlled lows (if that makes sense... :confused: ). I was suprised by this because the first day I tried the 6802T I'd written it off as too bright when doing a quick vocal test; that was not the case at all with the Martin.

We recorded vocals and guitar at the same time; the 6802T was placed at the 12th fret in figure 8 pattern and the null spot did an excellent job rejecting his vocal; it was barely audible in the guitar track.

We tested with 3 preamps: M5, UA M610 & A Designs Pacifica. Sounded best with the M5.

We tested the same mics for vocals and went with the AT4033 through the Pacifica; a very well matched vocal chain.

We recorded without compression; the tracks came out sounding excellent. The 6802T is a winner for acoustic guitar. Pretty amazing for $85.

MP3 link is here: http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=10348

Last edited:
Seriously, the winner of my group buy selection is the 6802t. It's one of the greatest mics I own now.

I can't seem to find anything about that mic when i google it...

And you won't. Look in the thread about the group buy. These just came in. I haven't even gotten mine yet. Keep an eye out for the next buy.

Back