Group bus has no send to FX Bus

Kesh

Title says it all really. Group bus has no send to FX Bus.

I'm new to cubase so I'm probably doing something wrong, but I have a group to mix the drums to, and I want this drum mix to have a send to an FX bus I've made for reverb. But there's no option when I click on send.

Using 7.05 on win 7 x64

many thanks.

I'm using C6, but I just add an FX channel and send the group channel to that instead of the stereo bus or whatever.

Send the individual channels to an FX bus and assign the FX bus to the drum group. Then you can do things like leave the kick drum dry or put more reverb on the snare. This is much more flexible than sending the whole group to the reverb or inserting the reverb on the group.

Well of course I can argue with that, as that isn't what I want to do.

Though such things may be great elsewhere. In my case the group bus is being quite heavily compressed, and reverb prior to compression leads to breathing I don't want. And this is just a subtle reverb for a unified sense of space over all sounds, rather than a big effect reverb.

My main issue is I'm learning Cubase and want to find why such routing is limited. I've tried reproducing this problem, but it seems every other group or fx bus I produce has full routing.

Hello Kesh,

You should definitely have sends from your Group channel. Can you post a screenshot please? :)

I had something freaky like that happen once. Did you upgrade from C6 by chance?

Hello Kesh,

Yes, a group track definitely has sends, and can send to an FX bus.
Probably you need to enable them.
Right click on top of the group and on the contextual menu enable the sends.
Are you sure you have Cubase 7 the full version, not Cubase Artist 7 or Cubase Elements 7?
Screenshot attached:

GroupBus Sends.png

Best regards,
GN

Though such things may be great elsewhere. In my case the group bus is being quite heavily compressed, and reverb prior to compression leads to breathing I don't want. And this is just a subtle reverb for a unified sense of space over all sounds, rather than a big effect reverb.

It certainly would make the reverb, and the overheads, pump and breathe. Which is why I generally don't compress drum buses too much if at all.

Last edited:
Hello Kesh,

Yes, a group track definitely has sends, and can send to an FX bus.
Probably you need to enable them.
Right click on top of the group and on the contextual menu enable the sends.
Are you sure you have Cubase 7 the full version, not Cubase Artist 7 or Cubase Elements 7?
Screenshot attached:

Best regards,
GN

Thanks Guillermo, but that isn't the problem.

Attached is a screen shot of what happens when I try and send to the FX bus.

You can see the FX bus, track 25 "FX 1-REVerence" at the bottom of the screen shot.

Above it is the selected group bus, track 24.

In the middle of the picture you can see the FX bus doesn't appear when I click in sends to select a send, just Stereo Out-Left-Right.

Strange, isn't it?

CubaseIssue_zpsc3c37612.png

Naw man, that is not how it works.

Hit the 'e' button. Send as you would any to effects track from there....

Don't send overheads to the death squash compressor. :)

Last edited:
Naw man, that is not how it works.

Hit the 'e' button. Send as you would any to effects track from there....
that is precisely how it works in every other project I have.

not sure what you mean by hitting the e. the default key commands assigned to e or anything close have nothing to do with fx buses in my install.

anyway, i finally figured it out. The fx track was accidentally routed to the the group bus instead of the stereo out, so routing the group back to the fx was prohibited to prevent a loop.

sorry to waste everyone's time

Every once in a while, cubase will lose its mind and do stuff like that. Get rid of that drum buss and add another one, see if that one works the way it is supposed to.

The e button is the button you push to pull up the channel strip on the screen. On your screen shot, you will see it right next to The word "drum buss". It's a button on the screen not the keyboard.

Hello Kesh,

Could it be that you are trying to make a loop?
If you are sending the FX to the group, it will not allow you to send it back.

Best regards,
GN

Thanks Guillermo, but that isn't the problem.

Attached is a screen shot of what happens when I try and send to the FX bus.

You can see the FX bus, track 25 "FX 1-REVerence" at the bottom of the screen shot.

Above it is the selected group bus, track 24.

In the middle of the picture you can see the FX bus doesn't appear when I click in sends to select a send, just Stereo Out-Left-Right.

Strange, isn't it?

CubaseIssue_zpsc3c37612.png

Oh, I see the problem.

There's banjo in this mix. Banjo has been known to cause lots of problems in many projects.

Cheers :)

Hello,

Every once in a while, cubase will lose its mind and do stuff like that. Get rid of that drum buss and add another one, see if that one works the way it is supposed to.

That is a good suggestion, or you could go to the mixer and verify on the routing section.
I am sure you will find the issue there.

Best regards,
GN

thanks guys, but i already said it was a loop i wasn't aware of.

anyway, i finally figured it out. The fx track was accidentally routed to the the group bus instead of the stereo out, so routing the group back to the fx was prohibited to prevent a loop.

sorry to waste everyone's time

Back